Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crimps and covers

Question Crimps and covers

Does anybody else get in a faff with crimps and covers, or is it just me? I have such an awful time with crimps that instead of using them I tend to use a bali bead or such like to cover the crimp (don't like uncovered crimps).

And another thing, while I'm on a roll. Am I the only person who finds that when I use the second bit of the crimping pliers the whole bloody thing just becomes round again, thereby undoing the crimping and allowing the stringing to fall out?

Di x

I gave up on them a long time ago!

I either use tornado crimps (which look fine uncovered) or use magical crimping pliers, which make a ball anyway!

oh am I glad its not just me. That's the beauty of sharing eh? Find out we're all on the same page.
    Di x

I too cover my crimps with a metal bead just think the cover things are to flimsy,i dont have a problem with the reballing crimps though and having just bought some tornados i think they are great.

Its obviously tornados here I come then.

just had a look at them - now why haven't I found them before. Duh!
    Di x

Hi all,

They are a pain, arne't they! I use my crimping pliers, but as I sometimes find the crimp doesn't hold at stage 1 of crimping, I attach my carob/toggle etc into a clamp thingie that I have on the side of my desk, crimp one side with the wires held apart, then carefully without moving the crimp, get hold of my clamp thingie, move it round so the crimp is level with the front part of the crimping plyers, and then re-crimp into a circle and voila (sounds complicated, now that I explain it)!, I have managed to crimp my wire......

Come to think of it, having looked at these tornado crimps, I might give those a go, as these look a helluvalot easier than using crimps and then adding covers over the crimps.

BTW I find putting the covers over the top even more of a pain, as I don't have any massive plyers to do it with, so use my hand to push the cover over the wire and slowly close it over the crimp cover. Depending on the quality and supplier, means they are either quite dif. to close, or are so thin that they close really easily and then you don't have a neat finish

Jules x

LOL, Jules - and so say all of us! Bloomin things they are - I get more crimp covers on the floor than I do on crimps. I've bunged em all into my waste pot.
    Di x

With crimps you have to get the wire just in the correct posistion but with the tornados you just slot them on and squash

Yep I ALWAYS end up re-rounding my crimps on the second go.

Also, I have never managed to successfully to crimp two bits of beadalon together... It never seems to work for me.

I will also be looking into these Tornado crimps....

I have tried the Beadalon site recommended way of crimping, but that didn't work at all. However, the way I have learnt to do it is to make sure that the wires are held apart, not together, so that when you crimp it the first time it will crimp each wire seperately. Then you turn it over to then fold it into a circle. Then, I usually leave at least an inch of wire and feed it into the beads, so that it doesn't poke out, as I like to leave a bit of give in a necklace/bracelet.

off to put my sainsburys delivery away and then a glass a wine (or two!)...

Love
    Jules