Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nooooo! Damaging a piece while polishing

Default Nooooo! Damaging a piece while polishing

I'll be honest, I could cry. Been on this piece for my daughter for days. I was just giving it it's final polish when I dropped it

It bounced perfectly on the edge of my glass table. I am furious to say the least...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_201504130264.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	7619 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150413_184304.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	7621
    Last edited by Vos; 13-04-2015 at 06:14 PM. Reason: typo
    All the gear and no idea

Ah Vos are you sure we're not related? Same birthday and now I find out you are mastering my own special move (the 'just-one-final-tweak-aaaaaand-nooooooooooooooooo')
    Will be saved with a bevelled edge, but yes, rage inducing. Sympathetic virtual hug coming your way.

You may be able to move the metal back with a burnisher to cover the worst of it.

What ever you decide to do, I'm sure your daughter will love it - it's special because its made by her dad. My dad died just under a year ago (he was 85!), I cherish the things he made, which includes a wooden rocking horse made for my children!
    Sue.

I also think you could repair a lot of the damage by burnishing it, make sure the burnisher you use is highly polished and take your time

Quote Originally Posted by joella View Post
    What ever you decide to do, I'm sure your daughter will love it - it's special because its made by her dad. My dad died just under a year ago (he was 85!), I cherish the things he made, which includes a wooden rocking horse made for my children!
    Sue.
    What a lovely thing to say Joella and so true!

If it's just that nick, Vos, why not file one on the other side to match? Problem solved. Dennis.

How infuriating! But seems its not the end of the world, would love to see how it turns out. I often seem to be spending far too much time undoing mistakes! And of course she will love it .

This piece has been a bit of a marathon with converting mistakes into happy little accidents. I fear this one may not polish out

Better shot...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150413_184304-02.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	7622

My first thought was bevel but to take out the ripple from the front will be almost 50% of the width. It'll ruin my lines! <diva tantrum>. My fear with burnishing is too much material has been compressed rather than deformed to hide without a noticeable kink in profile. So I'm gonna do both I'll burnish as far as I can then file a bevel. Hopefully this will reduce the bevel's dominance. Who knows, it may yet be a happy little accident!

Lydia, high five sister Definitely suffer the just one mores...

Dennis... Cheers, Rob

Sue my sentiments exactly, lovely words, thank you. I guess also why I so want this to be right, it's for my little (20) girl and she should have the best!
    Last edited by Vos; 13-04-2015 at 10:44 PM.
    All the gear and no idea

Oh bless you Vos! been there, done that and I can tell you that a granite floor isn't at all forgiving when you drop jewellery onto it!
    I do think it will bevel out fine though and what an absolutely gorgeous piece! really lovely!