Thread: Hallmarking for Australia (sorry!)

Default Hallmarking for Australia (sorry!)

Hi all,
    I am sure I saw that items do not need hallmarking if being sent to Oz. I've had a request for a silver & 18ct gold ring, but they need it really fast. Am I imagining the not requiring hallmarking if being made for an Australian customer?
    Cheers,
    Lydia

ETA< I've decided to overnight hall it anyway, but would still be interested!
    Last edited by LydiaNiz; 14-04-2015 at 07:36 AM.

then you've got to find a way of getting it there.....

Yes, I've been unable to send things to Australia made of silver Lydia - tried several post offices but they flat out refuse to let me send my sister-in-law's wedding jewellery over, as it's prohibited to send anything made of precious metals by post apparently.

In answer to your original question, I don't bother hallmarking stuff I send to the US.

Really?
    Ive sent lots of jewellery items ( gold and silver ) to Australia and not had a problem so far.
    I hallmark in the UK anyway unless specifically asked not to which so far has only been US

How do you send them? I've been refused several times now trying to send via International Signed For to Australia. As soon as they see the customs label they're like nope, you're not sending that! I've now removed Australia from my shipping options

Here's the prohibited list from the Royal Mail website: http://www.royalmail.com/australia

"Natural or cultured pearls, precious or semi-precious stones, precious metals, metals clad with precious metal and articles thereof; imitation jewellery; coin

Jewellery"
    Last edited by ShinyLauren; 14-04-2015 at 01:17 PM.

Hmm, I've sent things there before. I am sure jewellery has been added recently (I argued the toss on the precious metals bit before as I was sending fabricated items not bullion). I could send at own risk I suppose, but don't expect the customer will fancy that!

Im in France so don't have to deal with Royal Mail, on the customs form I just write 'jewellery' and not had any issues.

UK hallmarking regulations of course only cover the UK. If you are making direct for export then you will not need to have UK hallmarks applied but it might be wise to research the country of destination to see if there are any regulations that you need to comply with.....
    (BTW the Australians apparently LOVE the British hallmark!!)

Well, no Australian is going to get a chance to love it on my work - no courier I can find will take them AND insure them. As I can't find a way to have it insured and shipped, I've lost the job. Am now adding Australia to Canada on my list of places I cannot ship to. Bit fed up really.