Thread: platinum wedding ring

Moseley, Birmingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Default platinum wedding ring

Hey guys my friend has recently asked if I can make her wedding rings and she wants them in platinum.... I have never worked in platinum before only silver and gold to a certain extent..and am obviously quite nervous because of how expensive it is... Do you have any tips e.g. What solder to use, finishing etc. I would be most grateful for any advice ;-)

Hi Kate, I am not sure what level of expertise you have, but working with platinum requires a whole new approach in every aspect of production. In your place I would persuade the friend to settle for white gold, or palladium.

Failing that, register at Cookson and buy one at trade prices. http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...weddijng+rings.

Dennis.

I have never used platinum either how does it differ from silver/gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate George View Post
    Do you have any tips e.g. What solder to use, finishing etc. I would be most grateful for any advice ;-)
    Dennis has wisely tried to save you pain, though without going into detail about the pain you might be heading for. If you're interested to find out, the following article is a useful place to start:
    http://www.jmny.com/documents/jmny%2...bench_work.pdf

Avoid platinum then!!!!!

We'd all like to know how you finally get on Kate. All part of our learning process. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dennis.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Avoid platinum then!!!!!
    Unless you're working with an oxy-fuel torch and you're being scrupulous to avoid cross-contamination with other metals & carbon sources, yes. I've got a separate setup I use (files, sawblades, soldering station), although all my Pt lemel goes in with the gold lemel. There's enough Pd ends up in there from the white gold and it all has to be assayed anyway is my reasoning.

However, it's a lovely metal to work with; if you're welding (as in, thin piece of Pt for joint filling) then sharp corners can melt back & look rounded - for that I'd advocate either laser/PUK or solder. Soldering Pt has its own issues though - it can polish out of the solder seam leaving a dip, which is a nuisance.

Moseley, Birmingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Hi guys sorry took so long...got sidetracked.. Yes I think I agree I'm gonna speak to her and either get he to have white gold or like you said get a ready made one at trade price... Thanks so taking the time to help it could have been a very expensive mistake I made.. Om normally the type of person who likes to jump in and do things but I'm glad I didn't this time :-)

I have been working with platinum 95/5 iridium and I use a propane/oxygen torch to fuse and melt small amounts. I have to tell you it takes a lot of heat and it takes more time to finish but the basic process is the same. I use the plat to fuse and build up with no solder. Plain bands are easy to make from sheet and wire then fuse the ends you need to keep safe and wear two stage welding goggles to protect your eyes. Keep the scraps separate collect the filings and clean out the files as it tends to gum up things. It also is very forgiving if you melt a spot you can just add more and fuse it without the issues you face with gold or silver ie bubbles and oxides etc. it takes a lot to ruin it.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

It would be lovely, Edward, for you to make a thread and tell us about you. Your knowledge is clearly great. Would be lovely to find out more. And of course, where you are based.