Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday to meeeee! New toys...

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    Vos, we are birthday twins!
    Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    what's the Aldi drill like, Vos? any good?
    TBH, for £50 I was pleasantly surprised. It's pretty solid yet not too big for domestic use. The motor does get hot pretty quickly (even with all belt tention removed). The biggest issue is the chuck. The outer collar seems to be way off kilter an causes some vibration. In fact it's so off centre I thought it would be unusable, however, whether by luck or judgement I managed to centre a 1mm drill and drill a hole rather than scribe a circle! Sent this vid to dad so he could see it running, you can see what I mean about oscillation. Seems to work ok though (not tried higher speeds yet!)

https://youtu.be/NRyR6AqXGU8

Quote Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
    Ah yes but I was born before you (1949) , so I am the winner
    Meh!
    Last edited by Vos; 04-04-2015 at 10:51 AM.
    All the gear and no idea

hmmm not that bad then. My hands are unhappy with drilling using my pendant these days and I was thinking of getting some kind of bench drill. If I see one I might give it a shot.

Fab new toys for your birthday......happy making Rob!!

Thank you Jill. With all these new goodies I fear my head might pop with all the new ideas
    All the gear and no idea

I recently bought a rechargeable Aldi powered screwdriver (~£10) which I've fitted with a model-makers drill chuck (~£6).

This is saving me from some manual work drilling to set small stones. Like your bench drill it wobbles a little - from where the bit seats, but since I've shimmed it with some folded paper, now it fits quite well. Once the hole has been started it has been able to take over where previously I was doing the whole thing with a twist drill.

The 10th BTW!

I am so loving the idea of electric screwdriver! That's genius! Where was the chuck from?
    All the gear and no idea

Quote Originally Posted by Vos View Post
    I am so loving the idea of electric screwdriver! That's genius! Where was the chuck from?
    my mum has one. She calls it a 'ladies drill'. You might be able to drill a hole in cheese with it, but otherwise it's cr@p

I'm thinking low speed high torque! I have a leccy screwdriver, it'll twist your arm off. It could fill the low revs gap that I have with my dremmel. It's way too aggressive to consider stone setting, so this might be the answer short of a Foredom.

Forgive, one is a little squiffy this evening. That might not make sense
    All the gear and no idea

Vos - that makes sense to me I have a little handheld driver / drill that has saved my sanity when trying to use a setting burr the last few weeks. My dremel copy doesn't have low enough speed and the little driver has been much better.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Vos View Post
    I'm thinking low speed high torque! I have a leccy screwdriver, it'll twist your arm off. It could fill the low revs gap that I have with my dremmel. It's way too aggressive to consider stone setting, so this might be the answer short of a Foredom.

Forgive, one is a little squiffy this evening. That might not make sense
    Yep, that's just what I was looking for. This little chap could fit anything that takes a hex-drive bit. The drill - sorry screwdriver I have it in is reasonable torque, and nice and slow. It shouldn't really need too much torque as you should allow the bit to do the cutting at its own speed (and lubricated). That's the bit, not you Vos!

https://www.expotools.com/acatalog/A...ive-12805.html