Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie struggling to polish

Wow! Radials are amazing! Dirt free and do the job brilliantly. Very happy to be seeing great results with my dremel.

Glad to hear you've found a good solution Caline

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    Glad to hear you've found a good solution Caline
    Thanks Tabby!

Hi,

Sorry to piggy back onto this slightly old thread. I too am a newbie struggling to polish. I have questions related to this thread.

I have not been able to polish silver to a bright smooth mirror finish. Close, but I would like to really maximize it. I have a set of the 3M radial 3" wheels (white,red,blue,peach,green) They a bit old - maybe 10 years (not heavy use) Only the blue wheel looks worn and haggard.

- How long do the radials last, can I expect a brighter smoother mirror finish with them? What is the advantage of the different sizes for the radial? 2", 3", 6". Should I also get a set of smaller ones for the dremel or foredom flexshaft? (have both)

- How much FURTHER than the green wheel do you need to go to get super bright mirror look? i.e. other wheels, rouge, polishing cloths, different silver, etc? I've read Argentium polishes to a higher luster.

- Are there other buffing tools/attachments I should acquire to get in tight little crevices?

Thanks!
    -Adam

(let me know if this should be it's own thread)

Quote Originally Posted by kraftrourke View Post
    (let me know if this should be it's own thread)
    I don't know what the etiquette is but being quite new to this forum myself I like it when someone resurrects an older thread. I get to read stuff that I hadn't found already, and useful new info may well be added to what has gone before. I can't help with your questions, but am interested in any answers that might come up as I'm looking into different small-scale polishing solutions myself...

I dont really polish mine but they come out from the tumbler and just get a wipe of a silver polish. The finish is quite good, I use more than the recommended Barrelbrite though and I put it in pickle before it goes in to the tumbler. Only a hobby jeweller so there will be better answers than mine I expect.

Hello, if I buy the radial discs will they fit on any rotary machine or just specific ones? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you buy radial disks separately, three or four can be assembled on a mandrel with a screw on top, appropriate to your machine.

If you buy them ready mounted on a mandrel they usually have standard 2.35mm shanks, similar to standard burrs.

However although they are cheaper loose, you sometimes find a bargain set. Also mounting them yourself for the first time can be quite puzzling, unless you have one to copy.

The common colours in descending order of coarseness are: Yellow, Red (actually a brownish colour), blue, pink, Light Green. You could omit pink and just buy four colours. Dennis.

Thank you that's very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also like the pointy rubber burrs - the green ones I use most. Don't last terribly long, but good for awkward spots.