Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie struggling to polish

Default Newbie struggling to polish

I have only recently started to d some silver jewellery making at home after attending an evening class for the past year or so. I have bought myself some basic tools including a Dremel 3000 along with the cleaning and polishing kit. My problem is I am at a loss as to how to polish with the dremel. I have tried most attachments and used the polishing compound on the attachments as suggested but have still to successfully polish an item. At the class we use a table top polisher with tripoli and rouge on the wheels and I am used to thinks looking very shiny after a few minutes.

I have read about the radial attachments and they sound great but am a bit reluctant having just splashed out a lot of money on my tool collection. Any tips or advice on what attachments to use and in what order etc would be very gratefully received. Thank you

Hi Caline, welcome to the forum

I only use a bench top polisher so can't help on that one but there will be lots along to help who do

Thanks CJ57

Hi Caline,
    Which cleaning and polishing kit do you have? You should have mini versions of the same mops you use at college and be able to use the same compounds with your hand tool.

If you have a dremel polishing kit, this might not be ideal for jewellery, but you can get individual mops/brushes and small sizes of compound very cheaply.

I'm afrad spending money is the name of the game.

If you want to use the rotary tool you already have, then you can mimic the bench polisher by using compouds, with miniature mops of the kind you are used to.
    On the other hand a set of three or four grades of radial wheels, ending with light green will be much cleaner to use in a home work space.

For pieces that are entirely flat, you can't do better than a selecion of Micro-Mesh sheets ending with grit 8000, flat on the bench with your work rubbed on it. These not only give a brilliant finish, but preserve the flatness.

If you have a piece that is mainly textured, then a wet and soapy brass brush is best. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Hi Caline,
    Which cleaning and polishing kit do you have? You should have mini versions of the same mops you use at college and be able to use the same compounds with your hand tool.

If you have a dremel polishing kit, this might not be ideal for jewellery, but you can get individual mops/brushes and small sizes of compound very cheaply.
    Sorry about the cross posting, George.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Hi Caline,

Thanks misgeroge. I do have the mops and I'm using with the dremel compound. Maybe I will buy some tripoli and rouge and have another go. The kit has unnecessary things in it so I should have done more research before spending. My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I'm afrad spending money is the name of the game.

If you want to use the rotary tool you already have, then you can mimic the bench polisher by using compouds, with miniature mops of the kind you are used to.
    On the other hand a set of three or four grades of radial wheels, ending with light green will be much cleaner to use in a home work space.

For pieces that are entirely flat, you can't do better than a selecion of Micro-Mesh sheets ending with grit 8000, flat on the bench with your work rubbed on it. These not only give a brilliant finish, but preserve the flatness.

If you have a piece that is mainly textured, then a wet and soapy brass brush is best. Dennis
    Thanks Dennis. It seems that I am doing the right thing so maybe I am expecting results too quickly. The micro mesh sheets I've not heard off but will have a look. Many thanks for the replies.

If you are used to the results from tripoli and rouge on a bench polisher you may be finding doing it by hand somewhat slower and less impressive and perhaps with the Dremel less even, it depends how big a piece you are polishing

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    If you are used to the results from tripoli and rouge on a bench polisher you may be finding doing it by hand somewhat slower and less impressive and perhaps with the Dremel less even, it depends how big a piece you are polishing
    I polishing small items. Rings and pendants etc. I got frustrated last night and ordered some radials so watch this space! They seem to get good reviews and u tube vids look promising.