Thread: Help me decide, oh wise ones!

Default Help me decide, oh wise ones!

So, it was a lovely surprise to win the competition last month, and I now keep dithering about what to put my prize towards.

The two things I want most are this light box: http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-997-1203...

...and this ring stretcher: http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-999-7159

I can't decide which would be more useful! I am starting to make more rings (I have one of those exciting ring bending tools winging its way to me from Otto Frei as I speak) and I find it almost impossible to bend them up to the right size by hand. But also, the light box seems like an easy way to reshoot my jewellery for a white background.

Arrrggghhhh, decisions!

Grateful for any advice

Hi Lauren,

This is only my personal opinion, but both these items under-achieve compared with the more expensive option:

The light box will obviously accommodate an item of jewellery, but its small size restricts the angle of your shot, so seeing them in the showroom I definitely would go for the larger version. For instance I use a 40cm light cube and still have to do without it particularly if I have a necklace on a stand, because I can't get it all in at my chosen angle.

The ring stretcher will liberate your ring making, because you can let the shank be a little undersized by say 1-2 sizes and then stretch it gently until it is just right. This also rounds it, so removing the need for bashing on a mandrel. You can also quickly reduce a plain ring with the reducer at the base, or use that as a planisher by substituting a steel block for the round perforated object, which lifts off.
    However the next model incldes a shank bender, which enables you to bend shanks effortlessly without pliers, or plier marks. Dennis.

The light box is handy, but there are other solutions that could be used (even if it's only short-term).

The ring stretcher will save a lot of time rounding up rings as well as stretching them.

The light box can help to show stock off, the ring stretcher is more useful creating that stock in the first place.

Added - once I'd seen Dennis' post -
    I considered the next stretcher up, but as I already had a Pepe bender I decided against it - the only advantage I could see was the extra leverage, while the Pepe has square and triangular dies too.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 12-04-2015 at 12:08 PM.

I agree with Dennis and Peter, go for the tools as they will pay for themselves eventually, if you do want a lightbox check out the cheaper larger models available like these on Amazon;http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ox%2Caps%2C211

James

I use a little £15 fabric light box from Amazon , works fine for my needs.
    I make a LOT of rings though and the Durston ring bender/stretcher has been an absolute godsend saving me masses of time and making it so much easier.
    I will say that the bender aspect of the next model up does tend to mark the rings quite a bit though, I still use it as I make some really thick rings which are so hard to bend by hand and also can cope with the marks being filed out.
    But if you mostly make more standard thickness bands you may be just as well with pliers and a mandrel.

I have a cheapo ring stretcher which I bought on e-bay about 5 years ago. It's still going strong and does everything I need it to. It does actually have a ring bending thingie on it but I never use it.

However ......... I've just taken delivery of the larger size of lightbox and it's totally fab-u-lous darling! After a session with a photographer last week who helped me sort out my camera settings, my images are finally getting to where I want them. I'm so in love with the lightbox. I agree with Dennis that the larger one makes life easier when taking lifestyle type shots.

[QUOTE=enigma;77790 I will say that the bender aspect of the next model up does tend to mark the rings quite a bit though,to bend by hand and also can cope with the marks being filed out.[/QUOTE]

I have never actually used that type of ring bender Sarah, but with my ring bending pliers, a piece of narrow leather strap between the outside of the shank and the pliers saves the ring from marks and endless finishing.

Is that possible with yours? Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pl Ring Bending Tool.jpg  

I must admit Dennis Ive been too lazy to try that so far, I did try some paper or something that was handy and it didn't work but it may if I found the right thickness of leather.

I would say go for the ring stretcher Lauren OR go for a larger size of lightbox, don't compromise on the smaller size.....if you are looking for an essential....ring stretcher, if you want to treat yourself.....(larger) lightbox!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to advise

I can't afford the large light box at the moment, I already have the Pepe ring bender on its way to me (Otto Frei had a discount code plus free nylon dies), so the ring stretcher it is then!

Carole, I can't wait to see your new photos!

X