Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with soldering a bangle 7mm x 2.5mm

Default Help with soldering a bangle 7mm x 2.5mm

Hi, I'm having some issues soldering a decorative piece to an open bangle. The bracelet is made from rectangular sterling wire 7mmx2.5mm. The decorative piece us a feather that follows the curve and us about 0.8mm thick. Here's a picture:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	7570Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	7571

I've tried sweat soldering but can't get the bangle to a hot enough temperature to melt the solder.

I've tried binding with iron wire and stick soldering the seam, but the solder just balls and doesn't flow.

Then I thought it was my torch, that it wasn't powerful enough so I bought a stronger torch and STILL NO JOY!

The solder flowed onto the feather but not the bangle...

Anyone got any tricks or tips to help me?

Sorry I can't really help as you've tried everything I'd have done. What torch do you have?

The second torch was the proxxon microflame burner from cooksons

Do you think the problem could be the sheer mass of silver not getting hot enough as a whole piece?

Your torch isn't big enough to heat the piece, you would need a bigger, bushier flame to enable you to heat the whole piece at the one time

It's going to be a pretty bracelet

Quote Originally Posted by Unknownlegend View Post
    The second torch was the proxxon microflame burner from cooksons

Do you think the problem could be the sheer mass of silver not getting hot enough as a whole piece?
    Yes. I've got the Proxxon, and I struggled even to do rings of the same thickness of metal you are using there, let alone a bangle.
    You need a torch that will kick out a big flame.

If you want to minimise the risk of solder flowing on to the veins of your very attractive feather, make sure you get no flux on the topside of the feather. Better still, paint the topside with Tippex or ochre paste before soldering.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    Yes. I've got the Proxxon, and I struggled even to do rings of the same thickness of metal you are using there, let alone a bangle.
    You need a torch that will kick out a big flame.

If you want to minimise the risk of solder flowing on to the veins of your very attractive feather, make sure you get no flux on the topside of the feather. Better still, paint the topside with Tippex or ochre paste before soldering.
    Thank for the tip ex tip! Can anyone recommend a better hand held torch? Or should I decrease the amount of oxygen flowing onto the flame - that seams to make it bigger and bushier rather than a smaller blue flame.

Dear U,

The Proxxon torch is just a minitorch like all the others, but in a fancym colour. To get sufficient heat you should use a torch with a much bigger burner such at a Sievert, or an EZ torch.

If you are not ready for that yet, then a hand held torch as intended for mall plumbing jobs will do the trick. The main ones are Go System and Campingaz, and are available from DIY supermarkets, ironmongers, Leyland paint shops and on lline.

The picture is of the one I use and I have added an unauthorised brass clip for closing the air holes a little to create a bushier flame when needed.

Regards, Dennis.

A bushy flame is a cooler flame BTW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hand Held Torch Modified.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Unknownlegend View Post
    Thank for the tip ex tip! Can anyone recommend a better hand held torch? Or should I decrease the amount of oxygen flowing onto the flame - that seams to make it bigger and bushier rather than a smaller blue flame.
    I'd abandon the idea of trying to solder that piece with a handheld torch. You might do it with a very big handheld torch or with two average sized ones, but really you'd be better off getting a bigger torch, such as this or this. Once you take the plunge you'll wonder how you ever got on without one.

Well, an interesting cross post Mark. Two minds with but a single thought. Regards, Dennis.

I made that 3 minds think alike unless my post is showing