Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jigsaw puzzle pendant

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    I use the tripoli (well the brown mezerna equivalent) on a bristle brush followed by blue and yellow mezerna on the alcantra mops. The tripoli will clear off any file marks as long as they aren't too deep (even if they are deep they will eventually get those as well but it takes ages).

The best way to get a super shiny finish is to avoid damage in the first place. I use sellotape, masking tape or just glue paper on any flat surface I know will need a high shine. It has saved me a ton of time.
    The rep from Curteis chains turned up on the doorstep a couple of years ago and he was a time served jeweller.

He advised me to buy these http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-944-010. I use pretty much nothing else for my first polish with tripoli, Luxi or equivelant. They take out scratches as Liz said and don't make any further marks but do wear out.
    I like a 3 or 4 ins mops so I'm finding those alcantra mops terrifying and a bit too hard even for the supposedly soft one, I'm finding they leave marks. I will persevere as I know people like them but I went back to my usual for the final finish

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    The rep from Curteis chains turned up on the doorstep a couple of years ago and he was a time served jeweller.

He advised me to buy these http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-944-010. I use pretty much nothing else for my first polish with tripoli, Luxi or equivelant. They take out scratches as Liz said and don't make any further marks but do wear out.
    I like a 3 or 4 ins mops so I'm finding those alcantra mops terrifying and a bit too hard even for the supposedly soft one, I'm finding they leave marks. I will persevere as I know people like them but I went back to my usual for the final finish
    A bristle brush! Never seen one used (I am VERY MUCH a beginner!) and I would have imagined it would mark the surface. I have a couple of little ones in my dremel kit, I might give them a try on a small piece and compare finishes. Thanks Caroline!

I use these bristle mops with Tripoli as my first polish, using my bench polisher; http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...omSuggest=true
    then I finish with a 4 inch swansdown mop and rouge.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I use these bristle mops with Tripoli as my first polish, using my bench polisher; http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...omSuggest=true

James
    I think we are cut from the same cloth where polishing is concerned James I used to use the bristle brushes you mention too James but the other ones get into all my fiddly bits if you get what I mean! The 4 ins swansdown is my favourite for rouge I find the big new ones make me have to hold onto my work so tight so that it doesn't get whipped out of my hand, much too unkind for me

yup, they do wear a bit, but they make life so easy! I only bought two the first time and was lost when I found I was suddenly without!
    I find them super soft, big collars or tiny drops I find them easy to use BUT… I learned to polish on one of those big hard stitched cotton mops which are horrible to use!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post

James
    those are the ones I got first time on your recommendation. Second time I ordered the ones Caroline linked with the metal middles by mistake. I had to use a tap n die set to get the effers onto the spindle. I will be sure to get the plastic centred ones next time!

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    yup, they do wear a bit, but they make life so easy! I only bought two the first time and was lost when I found I was suddenly without!

I find them super soft, big collars or tiny drops I find them easy to use BUT… I learned to polish on one of those big hard stitched cotton mops which are horrible to use!

those are the ones I got first time on your recommendation. Second time I ordered the ones Caroline linked with the metal middles by mistake. I had to use a tap n die set to get the effers onto the spindle. I will be sure to get the plastic centred ones next time!
    I ran out or so I thought last week and now I have lots!! I can just get them on my spindles tight enough to stay.
    I've got a load of big felt mops that I never use, I maybe just have to get used to catching these ones in the right place or I seem to get marks, I'm just a scaredy cat with big mops

I must admit, when I got the alcantra mops it was a huge relief. I think I must have a fat spindle on my machine (it is converted from a grinder, mind), but even the hubby couldn't get them on. It now looks very precarious on the very tip, but it seems to be stuck there. One thing I have found useful is covering the spindles with kitchen roll tightly bound with tape. That way if something does get snatched, damage from the spindles is minimised.

I've got a Dustmaster with hoods so my work would go wheeching in to the metal, I just hold on tight but I think I also stop breathing and my glasses steam up so not really ideal if I faint from excitement or the stress of it all!!

I've got a Dustmaster with hoods so my work would go wheeching in to the metal, I just hold on tight but I think I also stop breathing and my glasses steam up so not really ideal if I faint from excitement or the stress of it all!!
    HAHAHAA!!!! I think I do this too - I must pay attention next time. I'm pretty sure I breathe in time with moving the piece onto and off the mop surface.

I always catch myself holding my breath whilst polishing as well! And stonesetting...