Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jigsaw puzzle pendant

Quote Originally Posted by Beadjoux View Post
    You are all being very kind, I am very much open to criticism, so please do say if you have any tips for improvements!
    Looking at the pendant there doesn't look like there is much room for criticism!! It is nicely and evenly pierced, you've rounded the edges evenly. 2 questions, I like the satin finish, but you said that you settled for this because you couldn't get a high polish finish,......do you know why? Secondly, would be nice to see the back and the bail set up that you've used

Quote Originally Posted by Sammyjean View Post
    Looks lovely, I like the soft rounded corners and always like a hidden bail! I have had issues with snake chain kinking, have to treat it with a bit of care.

Sam
    Thank you Sam! I do tend to use 2mm snake chain, a bit more robust than finer ones. But yes, they can still kink if not handled properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    Looking at the pendant there doesn't look like there is much room for criticism!! It is nicely and evenly pierced, you've rounded the edges evenly. 2 questions, I like the satin finish, but you said that you settled for this because you couldn't get a high polish finish,......do you know why? Secondly, would be nice to see the back and the bail set up that you've used
    I should have taken a picture of the reverse, I packed and posted it this afternoon so can't do that now. Silly me! The bail is just a simple 1mm wire oval ring soldered on. Nothing exciting, just functional.

I am going to make an interlocking pair for a couple next, so will post more photos then. I think they might want one polished, one brushed, so I will have to brush up on my polishing! #badpun

Polishing: I polished with a small rotary bench polisher, first using the dark red polish (Tripoli?) then the pale pink (rouge?) on a softer buffing wheel. I kept the piece moving in circles to avoid lines. It was good, but not perfect. I could see very faint straight lines, only barely visible when you looked closely, but was not happy to leave it like that. So, I copped out and brushed it with a fine brass wire brush! #coward!

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Beadjoux; 28-03-2015 at 10:28 PM.

Bench polisher should give you the best results. I find it much more difficult to achieve a satisfactory result with a pendant motor for instance. I'm a big fan of menzerna rather than tripoli and rouge, I get a much shinier finish

Bench polisher should give you the best results. I find it much more difficult to achieve a satisfactory result with a pendant motor for instance. I'm a big fan of menzerna rather than tripoli and rouge, I get a much shinier finish
    Oooh, thanks for the tip, I will try that!

OK, I'm looking at the yellow super finish bar, very high gloss finish to use as a final polish. I think I need to use a firmer mop with the earlier polishing too. Steep learning curve!

OK, I'm looking at the yellow super finish bar, very high gloss finish to use as a final polish. I think I need to use a firmer mop with the earlier polishing too. Steep learning curve!
    I use the synthetic suede mops with menzerna, like this http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-997-447, a harder one for the initial polish and then a softer one for the final polish

Ordered synthetic suede hard and soft mops, yellow polish, along with samples of 3 other polishes. Ridiculously excited.

Ordered synthetic suede hard and soft mops, yellow polish, along with samples of 3 other polishes. Ridiculously excited.

Enjoy when they arrive

I use the tripoli (well the brown mezerna equivalent) on a bristle brush followed by blue and yellow mezerna on the alcantra mops. The tripoli will clear off any file marks as long as they aren't too deep (even if they are deep they will eventually get those as well but it takes ages).

The best way to get a super shiny finish is to avoid damage in the first place. I use sellotape, masking tape or just glue paper on any flat surface I know will need a high shine. It has saved me a ton of time.