Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: List of maker's marks

Default List of maker's marks

Does anyone know where to find a list of current sponsor marks?
    I have searched online but nothing very recent.
    I have a bracelet by SI in a rectangle dated 1989 and would like to know who it is.

can't find any Theresa but found this one which so made me laugh maker is Samuel Hennell & John Terry http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/M...don-SD-SI.html
    Self teaching with the memory span of a gold fish

Ha Ha, someone wasn't thinking. They woulldn't allow it on a car numberplate. I wonder whether Steve LAO will see it. Dennis.

Mine is PS as I didnt want it to look like silver plate mark. Mine is in two triangles "P" in one and "S" in the other, that was before we had a proper name and were still in our evening class but some of the stuff we were making was over the weight so had to come up with a hallmark quick.

Does each assay office not hold the list relating to its office where the hallmark has been stamped?
    I was once contacted by someone who said the y had been told by Edinburgh that a piece of jewellery they had was possibly mine from the mark. I didn't recognise the description but they sent it up for repair anyway and it wasn't mine and I had to pay for return postage!

Ouch I bet that hurt.

I saw that one too. I would think genteel folk didn't make the connection!

Wonder if they produced work for R*tners?

hehehe you'd be surprised at some of the unfortunate sponsor mark initials!!

Theresa, reference your initial request, you've mentioned here that the shield surround is a rectangle, but you've pm'd me to say it's a square surround. If you could confirm the shape of the surround I'll see if I can trace it for you.

There are books listing early sponsors marks from all assay offices, such as "Grimwades" or "Jacksons", or if you don't have access to these books, and for early London marks, you can always call our library and they'll help you over the phone. For modern London sponsor's marks you can call our registration department and again they'll trace it for you over the phone.

There are some regulations though under the data protection act with regard to releasing details of sponsors. If the marks relate to companies then we can usually give out details, but if they relate to individuals then we're not usually allowed to release details unless we have the permission of the individual to do so.

CJ57, it is the combination of the sponsor mark AND the town mark which makes your mark unique. I think you're registered with Edinburgh, and so no-one else with a registration at Edinburgh will be able to have the same mark as you have. However, "your" sponsor mark may well be registered with another assay office under somebody else's name, but that's fine so long as it is also marked with a difference assay office town mark. Always check the sponsor mark AND the town mark together before looking for the maker!