Thread: Is there any such machine ?

Default Is there any such machine ?

Hello, One and all

There's a Gold ring which is filled with some other metal from inside, but the outer skin of this ring is 18 carat gold.
    Is there any such gold testing machine which can measure the gold-content in this ring without melting it, or drilling it ?

_/\_Jasdir.
    Jewelry for today's world,
    Whereby, style following the pattern of traditional world !

Hello Jasdir, how are you?
    I don't know for certain, but I guess that you could only calculate it from specific gravity or by comparing volumes, if you knew the weight of base metal and (for SG) which metal it contains. Alternatively you could calculate it if you knew the thickness of the gold.

SteveLAO will probably be around on Monday and might have other ideas. regards, Dennis

Hi Jasdir

The answer to your question is yes, there is a dealer in Brums JQ where they put your scrap silver, gold what ever in what looks like a mini microwave with a scale and the machine will tell you the weight and percentage of what metals you've deposited on the scale.
    The company deal with your precious metals and are full of stories where folks have tried to wrap up base metal in gold this machine sees through the deception, Brums assay office has the ability to do this also.
    Carlton
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

I suspect you're looking at a mass spectrometer, probably an XRF - X-ray fluorescence

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdir Singh Jaura View Post
    There's a Gold ring which is filled with some other metal from inside, but the outer skin of this ring is 18 carat gold.
    A couple of other things. I believe that to qualify as "gold-filled" a ring would have to have a gold content of at least 5%. (The gold content of a gold-plated item is typically much less than this). I believe also that it's a misnomer to refer to a gold-filled or gold-plated ring as a "gold ring".