Thread: A different flush setting question

Default A different flush setting question

Hi all,

This may be an unusual question for you. I've been flush setting small stones into rings for a good while and have very few problems anymore (phew). But I've recently wanted to flush set some into tiny little round pendants. The trouble is, I'm allergic to wax which means I'm having a very hard time stabilising the pendant to work on it. I've managed to drill out the hole by wedging it into the cut out bit on my proxxon vice, but I can't get enough space to actually set the stone. My ring vice just pings it out when I tighten it (I've already lost two somewhere behind the radiator!).
    Does anyone know of any cool bits of kit that might help keep the pendant still while I set it? The pendants are between 5 - 10mm only.
    Thank you!

Chrissy

I use polymorph as my holder/stabiliser of choice these days. The low temperature one (coolmorph) works just as well as the higher temp version and it's also very easy to remove after use.

I tend to use mine with a GRS benchmate, but you can use anything that can be held in a vice just as easily.

I generally buy from ebay, and it's usually cheaper to buy the slightly larger containers.

Oh, I didn't know you could get coolmorph George. I had a right nightmare the other day when I held a gold piece with polymorph and set an opal. I didn't think until too late that I would have to put it in boiling water! Fortunately, I managed to cut it free but it was a scary moment!

http://www.coolmorph.com/

I like it very much, and only really use the polymorph now for anything that I think might get a bit too hot during fabrication (ie very impatient drilling...)

This is great info., thank you. I saw something called a universal holder (a bit like a ring vice but with a flat metal head with holes to hold small metal rods) any experience with one of those?
    I also now really want the GRS Benchmate, thanks for alerting me to that little gem that I can't afford ; )) It's going on my list along with a ring expander/shrinker, a tumbler that doesn't deafen anyone within earshot and a rolling mill.

The universal holder is generally made of aluminium, so can be used as a safe vice. I have never used the pegs and don't know where they are now. I think this device was made for holdind watch cases.
    Go for the Coolmorph, as recommended by our cool member. Dennis.

Thermo-loc & a cheap 2 speed heat gun does the job for me these days.
    Don't like the sound of boiling water

I put my tumbler on some thick rubber underlay that deadens it quite a bit,

I love my Benchmate Christina!

I use the polymorph for sertung as well, but use a hairdryerer to soften it rather than boiling water. The coolmorph looks great George, I'm going to try that next time.