Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Les

I have set 6 x 1mm faceted stone in the ends of 2mm wire for a ring, but never done such a small cab.

Thats a good idea Dennis! I had problems getting the base level for mine and it kept rolling over until I did ( ended up doing the edges with a fine diamond burr but your idea is much better thanks! )

Presumably I would need a 3mm outside diameter tube to set a 2mm stone in, but what size burr. Would I use a pointed burr to start the seat, then transfer to the tube shape burr. I have set faceted stones in tubes but never cabs.

Yes you are roughly right Pat, but I try to use the thinnest tube I can get away with, either by having a very slghtly bigger stone or a slightly smaller tube. If you have too much tube for small stones it becomes tough work and overwhelms the stone.

Also you can save wear on you expensive seating burr by using cheaper and faster round burrs first.

Lastly as you might have read before, I defy convention by setting (gently) with polished round nosed pliers, which is kinder to delicate work. Regards, Dennis.

Les we all start off at the beginning, just have fun learning, and this forum is great, the people are great and extremely helpful.

Cheers for the link Dennis, i did a tube set cab the hard way, made a small ring to go inside then filed the top outside wall thinner, looked ok but your way would be better.

Gorgeous rings Enigma and Wallace, Wallace love that stone (leaf) not seen one cut like that before.
    Self teaching with the memory span of a gold fish