Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Jewellery Light Box

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Attachment 7555

This is a lifestyle shot. Not a good one, which is why I need help but you get the idea. Instead of the piece of jewellery being shot on a flat surface, it has to be staged with some props to make the image more interesting. Although I used to think that a lovely piece of jewellery shouldn't be upstaged by props, I now realise that people want the picture to tell a story.
    uh, I thought a lifestyle shot was one which showed the jewellery being worn, hence my instagram suggestion. I'm torn about the use of props for jewellery shots as well. partly I think it can detract from the design, but I guess it can make the item look more interesting. I recall a pic James put up ages ago of his daughter wearing a load of his rings. That is what I thought would be a lifestyle shot. You have the jewellery in context. I think that works better for me than jewellery in isolation but on a fancy background.

Yes, I thought it was a photo of an attractive, happy, slim, wealthy person wearing the jewellery in a beautiful location.
    It means that if you buy it, you will be all of those things.
    They annoy me (easily done), as you usually can't get a decent impression of the item.

I shall be having to have shots of the jewellery being worn as well but as yet I don't have a model. My daughter's never around long enough to have a photo shoot. She hates it anyway and although she is rather lovely (unbiased opinion!) she always looks self conscious when posing for a photo.

I asked a friend of mine to ask around on a modelling Facebook page and I got a very mixed bag of replies. Some were obviously "glamour" models, some were positively plain and they were in all shapes and sizes plus a variety of hourly rates from £15 to £60. Needless to say, the one I liked best was the most expensive. I'll probably ask a friend of mine's daughter who is very beautiful. Not sure when Caroline's back as she'd have been perfect. It's all some way off though, so I'm not worrying about it at the moment.

All this is being done because Notonthehighstreet say my photography's not good enough for them now and I have to up my game if I want to get my stuff promoted. Fingers crossed that it all works out.

Jewelstreet has similar demands Carole.....

Ooh are you with Jewelstreet? Once I have my new images, I'll be with them too.

I'd think a glamour model might be a tad distracting, you want people focusing on your jewels not hot totty.
    Then again, if your wanting an army of male customers/followers that'll do the trick.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 30-03-2015 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Ooh are you with Jewelstreet? Once I have my new images, I'll be with them too.
    Yes, since I joined, they changed the image requirements, I'm in the process of updating my piccies!!

I want to apply to Jewelstreet, but having read their image guidelines I need to reshoot everything if I want to even stand a chance of being accepted

Carole, which large jewellery companies did you mean that had good lifestyle shots - I'm still a bit lost when it comes to that stuff? Please message me if you don't want to post on here!

Have pm'd you Lauren.

Is it just the photography rules that have changed for Not on The Highstreet Carole?
    I haven't applied personally, but know a few people that have been turned down because of "too many companies selling products of the same type" - mostly big players with a lot of financial backing. Seems such a shame.