Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jewellery Light Box

Spend time taking hundreds of photos of the same item arranged differently, with different lighting and playing around with camera settings (remember to make notes on what you change as you go along) and then spend another day playing around with whatever image manipulation program you have. jewellery photography is a learning curve
    I had some professional stuff done and it was unusable and a complete waste of time and money
    Last edited by pearlescence; 25-03-2015 at 05:42 PM.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Caroline's right, I have one of those Carole. It's fab, best pictures I've taken myself. The only thing my husband has suggested is that I should have gone for a larger model to accommodate props, etc.... I would highly recommend it (I have a Lumix).

These were all taken using it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gemstone stacker rings.jpg   Peacock Feathers pendant.jpg   sunflower pendant.jpg  

I'm reading this thread with interest too... Which Lumix do you have Jill?

Those are fab photos !!!
    Jules

I bought the biggest one, as I needed to photograph sculptures too, but I've found the size comes in very handy for jewellery.
    It makes it very easy to add backgrounds and props. It also makes it easier to position / angle the camera

I found that a cheap set of grey cards helps the camera to pick the jewellery out from the background even more. x
    Last edited by Lucie; 26-03-2015 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Have you seen the light boxes on Amazon Carole? with this one you could photograph necklaces on a display necklace bust unit. http://www.amazon.co.uk/SANOTO-Profe...DTJEYMSRK62SX4 also it's half the cost of the one you mentioned.James
    Yes that is a good size. As James has said, the problem with smaller cubes is that they limit your camera angle when using display stands. I have a 40x40cm cube and every now and then I am too crampted. Dennis.

Looking forward to seeing all the new stuff Carole! I need to get one of those lightboxes as well, and need to reshoot on white. I've not got a clue how to go about doing the dreaded lifestyle shots

My Lumix is a DMC - G3 but they seem to bring out a new one every few months. My cousin arrived with the latest wee one the other day and the clarity of the pictures was astounding but the camera was small and quite fiddly.
    I don't know if my photos are website quality though but I can get the effect I want by editing on the laptop

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post

Liz, I didn't know you knew the lovely Caroline, though I did wonder. She's off travelling I think, unless she's back now. It's a good idea though.

My youngest and her are really good friends. They used to do a very funny (but slightly disturbing) double act when they were younger. We often wondered if they'd be the next French and Saunders (but with more talent, obvs). And yes, off travelling now.

This is all not good. Now I really, really want a lightbox. I hate taking pictures with a passion, and anything that could make life easier has to be a good thing. I want a new camera too, of course...

Sorry George! I am having one - I've decided!