Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blind as a bat

Default blind as a bat

can anyone tell me what they use, if anything, to help them see. Do you use optivisors? and if so at what magnification, or perhaps those portable magnifiers with lights on that beaders use? Or do you use something else entirely? I'd really like to hear your views on pros and cons of these things. I have always been quite short sighted and have an astigmatism, but now I'm older, I'm also longsighted - I wear varifocals for obvious reasons. It's hard to see what I'm doing in general with everything being so small, and I particularly struggle to see the join when soldering one, also it's almost impossible to line up the ends of a jump ring without the aid of a magnifier. I have the compact flexi lamp from cooksons, but its not very mobile ofcourse.
    Sue.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

there was a thread where a few were mentioned here:- http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...ight=optisight

Optivisor with 5x or 7x magnification, the idea with these is that you wear your normal glasses (if you wear any) below them.

This subject crops up from time to time and jewellers are fixated on the dreaded Optivisors. I find the hot and sweaty, especially in the summer, and very heavy.

My personal favourite is the Lactona Dental Loupe, favoured by the dental trade, which also is worn along with normal reading/working glasses, but not varifocals.
    I use the 4x version and find them comfortable for hours on end. They only weigh 52g. Dennis.
    http://www.hemminghealthcare.co.uk/o...e/prod_34.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    Optivisor with 5x or 7x magnification, the idea with these is that you wear your normal glasses (if you wear any) below them.
    I also have to use an optivisor.
    Far be it for me to tell Tabby what she uses, but I would be amazed if they are 5x or 7x magnification, the working distance would be incredibly small.
    One of mine is marked no 5, but it is 2.5x magnification. The no 7 is 2.75x magnification. Apologies if I have got that wrong.
    I do find if I've been using it a lot, I get a bit 'dependent' on it, and really struggle when I remove it.
    I usually use a no 3, with varifocals underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by trialuser View Post
    I also have to use an optivisor.
    Far be it for me to tell Tabby what she uses, but I would be amazed if they are 5x or 7x magnification, the working distance would be incredibly small.
    One of mine is marked no 5, but it is 2.5x magnification. The no 7 is 2.75x magnification. Apologies if I have got that wrong.
    I do find if I've been using it a lot, I get a bit 'dependent' on it, and really struggle when I remove it.
    I usually use a no 3, with varifocals underneath.
    I'm sure you're right!!! It is the optivisor lens number 5 and 7

I am long sighted and also have an astigmatism, which means I think things are central when not, so need to wear my glasses and then I wear clip on magnifiers over the top, really comfortable as it is just like wearing my normal glasses. I can't make without them anymore. I get them on ebay for about a fiver :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    there was a thread where a few were mentioned here:- http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...ight=optisight
    That was my post from a few weeks ago and I ordered the ones On the link Wallace posted. They have 3 lens included in the price and the magnification is good as long as you don't move your head too much. My problem at the moment is my labrynthitis has reared its head a bit so moving my head whilst wearing the lens is making me even dizzier :/

My eyesight isn't bad so I mostly use the magnifying lamp from Cooksons if I need something as its easy to work with.
    I have a microscope which I use for stone setting although Im still not great at working through that.

I use one of the 5" daylight magnifiers (angle poise). I have to say while it's really handy for close work, the fault I find is the distance it has to be from the work its sometimes difficult to get the tools in, if that makes sense. I can't get my flexshaft or do any hammering under it. Basically any vertical work is out the question.
    Last edited by Vos; 25-03-2015 at 01:28 PM.
    All the gear and no idea