Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LAPIDARY Equipment and Advice Wanted!!

Post LAPIDARY Equipment and Advice Wanted!!

Hi everyone, philongold back again,

LAPIDARY Equipment and Advice Wanted!!

Can anyone help me please - I am thinking that I would like to cut and polish some of my own stones. Can anyone give me any advice as to which is the best way to start without having to spend lots of money initially. I know this craft is not very cheap to start, as the equipment is quite expensive.

I guess I will need a saw, some kind of shaping wheel/lap and some way to polish the stones. I am only interested in cabs right now.

If you can give me any advice or tips, or have any equipment for sale that would get me started, can you please send me a PM or email me at philongold@gmail.com -

Thanks in advance.
    Phil (philongold)

Hi Phil,
    Manchester minerals run lapidary courses (short day ones I believe) and sell all the equipment you need. They are usually happy to talk on the phone and am sure will advise you.
    http://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk/...cessories.html
    Lyd

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

a customer of mine keeps on about doing cutting (me to do it, that is) I advised that the cost and time is not one I have much of for either. It has taken me over ten years to learn what I have, and there is still so much more to go! Good luck on taking it on. It looks like an awesome thing to do, I love setting stones - but that is where my limits lie for the most part.

Apart from that, if you have a Rock'n'Gem showw coming up near you, they often have lapidary displays and I have seen an all in one machine there, but enquire before going. Dennis.

Hi Phil, my cab machine was constructed by M.L.Beech in Twickenham. I don't think they are still in business as Manchester Minerals used to sell their machines but I don't see them on offer anymore. Check out this website; http://www.roughrocks.co.uk/a-new-di...ne-conclusion/ it may be of interest to you.

I may be selling my cab machine later in the year when I intend stopping doing customers work. I also have a large stock of rough rock ideal for making cabs which be up for sale also.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	363 Stone polishing machine, ML Beach.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	7525Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16 selection of stones.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	7526Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17 selection of stones.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	7527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19 Rocks in an 18inch box.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	7528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20 Lapiz Rocks in an 14inch diam box.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	7529

James

Hi James,
    If you do decide to sell up - can you please contact me at philongold@gmail.com

If I havn't found anything by then, then I think I might be very interested in what you have.

Cheers for now
    Phil (philongold)

Thanks Lydia.

Phil (philongold)

I did lapidary as part of my course back in the day and I have to say it was the slowest most tedious thing I'd ever done. It took ages to cut slabs and every process seemed to go on forever. Equipment may be different now and the processes may have speeded up. When you can get companies like Designer Cabachons to cut to your requirements I would go to them

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I did lapidary as part of my course back in the day and I have to say it was the slowest most tedious thing I'd ever done. It took ages to cut slabs and every process seemed to go on forever. Equipment may be different now and the processes may have speeded up. When you can get companies like Designer Cabachons to cut to your requirements I would go to them
    Do Designer Cabochons cut to order Caroline, if you have something in mind and they have/can get stock??

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    Do Designer Cabochons cut to order Caroline, if you have something in mind and they have/can get stock??
    Hi Jill,

I have bought a lot of wonderful stones from Designer Cabochons (or Posh cabs as I call them) - I will give them a call and see what they would charge for a special order.

Thanks
    Phil