Thread: Paste Solder Dispenser?

Default Paste Solder Dispenser?

I am increasingly into intricate wire work, when paste solder might be more suitable. I dont know about you but those syringes of paste have quite stiff plungers, so I have been looking for a syringe squeezer.

Unfortunately the Cookson one will only accept very small syringes, not made for silver paste. What does everyone else do? Dennis.

Hope you get an answer Dennis, I have two syringes full that I stopped using as it was killing my hand trying to get the paste out. Now I dig the paste out with a solder pick and then use two hands to move some more solder down the syringe. I only use the needle to cap the syringe.

Neil
    Neil

Depends which syringes you have Dennis.
    I have some different ones, the Palmer metals larger ones are the worst and Cooksons small ones the best so far.

I decant my paste into the smaller tubes with a little connector valve, and use the grip dispensers - mine look the same as the 999 3342, but all fit a 10g tube. I've had mine for some years and didn't get them from Cooksons. I find them much, much easier to use than a standard plunger, and you can get spare ratchets to allow you to swap multiple syringes into the same dispenser if you don't want to buy more than one.

I was surprised at the description saying they were suitable for 3, 5 and 8g syringes, as in my limited experience (I only buy gold paste from them) they are all the same, just with less in them.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Thank you George and Wallce for your suggestions. My paste comes from Palmer Metals in 15g syringes. It ghasn't gone all that hard really, just not comfortable to use.

Wallace, do you use the original syringes, or decant it like George? Dennis.

Be interested with what you find Dennis. I find the Cookson's ones are ok, but still end up pressing down on the plunger on my bench toward the end ;-)

I don't know why they bother with the needle at all. I do the same as Lydia and press down on the bench. I use a bit of wire to transfer a blob of solder to my piece.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Wallace, do you use the original syringes, or decant it like George? Dennis.
    hi Dennis, I use the original Syringes, but rarely use paste now,as I prefer pallions. I have two tubes sat wasting really. You can re activate the paste if it becomes too bothersome.