Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Thanks for the encouraging words Caroline! I got different advice from everyone I asked about torches, and realised it's largely down to my own preference. It should arrive tomorrow, I'm excited to try it!

Thank you Sam. Oh I agree! It is so satisfying to see something form from a flat piece of metal, and the possibilities are endless! ��

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Hi from me.

I started as a hobby over ten years ago, with a small pencil flame torch, went onto a GoGas canister, then onto a little smith as the Sievert was too big for my hands and too heavy for me to hold. (hidden Neck disability issue for me and holding heavy things for any length of time)

I have my small canister in the house. It is a small one, the size that is used in indoor heaters and lasts me for about 18 months of daily use. I took voluntary redundancy in 2013 and it has taken 18 months, but most months I have been asked to make something for people.

hope you enjoy your classes.
    Hi Wallace, I did look at the Little torch too; there are just so many, it can be daunting for a newbie like me 😊 It's my last class tomorrow, that will be 18 2-hour evening classes. I could do another 10 but have decided to instead spend the equivalent on materials and my torch!

Quote Originally Posted by Beadjoux View Post
    Thanks for the encouraging words Caroline! I got different advice from everyone I asked about torches, and realised it's largely down to my own preference. It should arrive tomorrow, I'm excited to try it!
    I have a feeling that the Sievert is the colleges torch of choice still after all these years so it's all I've known since graduating in 79 and it's the same torch! I believe my original handle isn't as heavy as the new ones but I don't really know if this is true. I did have problems soldering a humungous setting onto a wide cuff probably because when I fitted the large burner that has been lying in the drawer all these years, the noise and size of flame scared the bejesus out of me and the sweat was pouring

You are right the preference for torches is quite personal but I don't think you'll go wrong to begin with and you can always move on to something else when your needs change
    Last edited by CJ57; 24-03-2015 at 10:50 PM.

LOL!!! I have all this to look forward to! My college doesn't use Sieverts, it has pretty basic utilitarian torches, not sure what make, but they clearly do the job.

I really appreciate the encouragement, thank you.

Hi and welcome from me too!

Hi Lorraine, thank you for the welcome!

Exactly what I thought Caroline - I think I will be able to do pretty much everything I need with this torch. I got a call an hour ago to say my gas has been delivered this morning too - just in time for the weekend!

Are we allowed to recommend gas suppliers? This was the cheapest I've found, with free national delivery. Don't want to break any forum rules in my first week by posting a naughty link!

Julie

I have a sievert type one as well but I use a butane/propane GoSystem 2350 hand held that plumbers use for the thicker stuff. You have to have a heatproof sheet under it as the flame is quite fierce, but it heats up thick silver really quick.

Not seen one of those before Patstone. I will have to stick with a slower process until my skills are up to scratch!