Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Wink Hello!

Hi,

I live in Rothwell, Norethamptonshire. After around 10 years of making beaded jewellery (which I still do) and having aspirations to learn more, I am learning Jewellery making and Silversmithing. I've completed 2 terms of evening classes with Clare Layton at with Milton Keynes Arts Centre and am now completely addicted of course; I want to do this all day every day!

I've bought pretty much everything I need and have begun making things at home too. I made my first ever cabochon ring yesterday (it's not perfect, but not bad for a first attempt!), and my little butane hand torch struggled with the soldering, so I did some research and ordered a Sievert Pro 86 torch. I decided on this one because it uses propane only, and I didn't want to have oxygen tanks haning aroound. I know I could buy an oxygen concentrator, but it seems the butane-only torch is going to be more than sufficient for my needs at the moment.

If only I could afford to give up work so I can fill my days with silver!

Good luck to you. That's how I started too, except no luxury of evening classes.
    You will find lots of advice here from very helpful and knowledgeable members.
    I find YouTube an endless source of expertise too.
    Happy silversmithing!

Hi, I'm sure others will be along soon to say hello. I have found everyone here to be really helpful and supportive. I'm impressed you've ordered a Sievert torch, I am too scared to have a proper torch at home (cowardy custard), and make do with my little hand proxxon which has been great, until last week when for the 1st time it wasn't powerful enough to do what was needed. Luckily I go to a class once a week that has proper torches, so I was able to do what I needed there. I'm thinking of getting another hand torch to get more heat. I too have become completely obsessed with this silversmithing jewellery lark.

Welcome Beadjoux......you'll find lots of friendly advice around here

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    Good luck to you. That's how I started too, except no luxury of evening classes.
    You will find lots of advice here from very helpful and knowledgeable members.
    I find YouTube an endless source of expertise too.
    Happy silversmithing!
    Thank you Theresa, YouTube is great for this, like having a tutor at home! I love experimenting too.😊

Hi Joella, yes, I have been using the class torches too, buy it's my last class tomorrow and I need to become self-sufficient. I use a spare room on the ground floor of our house as a workshop, and am planning to sit my propane tank outside the window, with my pipe coming in. Safety is paramount! I'll let you know how it goes ��

Thank you Tabby! It does seem a very good forum ��

Hi welcome from me too
    I've never used anything but my sievert torch and it's just about met all my needs so far

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Hi from me.

I started as a hobby over ten years ago, with a small pencil flame torch, went onto a GoGas canister, then onto a little smith as the Sievert was too big for my hands and too heavy for me to hold. (hidden Neck disability issue for me and holding heavy things for any length of time)

I have my small canister in the house. It is a small one, the size that is used in indoor heaters and lasts me for about 18 months of daily use. I took voluntary redundancy in 2013 and it has taken 18 months, but most months I have been asked to make something for people.

hope you enjoy your classes.

Hello Beadjoux! Another welcome from me. I am self-teaching and find You tube and this forum really helpful. I came to silver smithing via lots of other crafts, ceramics, bead embroidery, beading and silver clay. There is just something so 'proper' about transforming the raw silver metal into something (hopefully!) beautiful.. very addictive I know.

Keep going!
    Sam