Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just thinking out loud... Tonight's doodle

Quote Originally Posted by Vos View Post
    When you say using round nose pliers that's not for closing bezel surely?
    Yes bezels and tubes, where access is limited or the base is not strong enough to take much pressure, or even if the stones are very small, I use polished round nosed pliers just at the rim. This is quick and effective and works for me. (See the cube pendant below)

You just have to be gentle and avoid pressing too low, or the stones will be undermined and pop out. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sc5 Cube Pendant.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 23-03-2015 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Adding a picture.

What James said,.....about shaping and doming!! Use of 3 square needle file for truing up/shaping the petals might by handy.

Dennis is quite right about the tendency for a straight profile on the bullets, though, I've not really found that I've needed to bury them in metal or glue them (yet!!).

I actually quite like the balance the roots give your design, I was seeing it as a brooch when looking at it. I have loads of 'part worked' designs in drawn form......and there are certainly more designs in my head than I'll ever have time to make!!

Talking of part worked... This was one I'd written off until I found pliers can be used to close small bezels. I appear to be getting more designs on paper than I could make, and no better at isometric projection lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2015032433716.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	7530
    Last edited by Vos; 24-03-2015 at 05:42 PM.
    All the gear and no idea

Blinkin heck Vos, there's enough lines and angles on there to scare me off from even trying!! (Like the ring design using the bullet stone and raised setting though)!!

Thanks Jill. I was trying to come up with something a little 'edgy' which the point hovering over the skin, 'as if to prick', would do. Just think the top would need more thinking/design, but as a concept it's something I certainly want to come back to.

As to the angles and lines, this was as far as I got before my head exploded. Drawing curves in perfect perspective
    Last edited by Vos; 25-03-2015 at 12:12 AM.
    All the gear and no idea

Have you got a history in engineering Vos? that looks like the kind of drawing my OH would do! very impressive !

You *might* be able to drill the stone in till the point sticks through enough without falling through, then bezel or flush set the back of the stone.
    Probably abit tricky but an idea to ponder on..

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Have you got a history in engineering Vos?
    No, just something I'm trying to teach myself on those days I can't face the tools

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    You *might* be able to drill the stone in till the point sticks through enough without falling through, then bezel or flush set the back of the stone.
    Probably abit tricky but an idea to ponder on..
    I like your thinking! That is certainly something to ponder on! And having the back of the stone visible would give the top a more finished appearance. I like it. Sometimes it just takes another pair of eyes. Thanks Chris, off to ponder
    All the gear and no idea

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Attachment 7536 it is do-able from the top too.

Thanks Wallace! Love those. Really like your flush setting too. It's the skill I'd most like to try
    All the gear and no idea