Thread: Setting an Emerald

Default Setting an Emerald

Have acquired this ring from my m-in-law who died recently.
    One of the Emeralds is missing and I had hoped to replace it for sentimental reasons.
    Never having attempted this sort of setting I wondered about the best way to approach it.
    Any advice would be gratefully received (as usual).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080128.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	7507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080127.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	7508

I would measure the existing stones and match the size also try and get one with a similar girdle size, you may need to retip the claws buy adding metal to them (I would remove the stones completely as its emerald they are heat sensitive) its difficult to see if there is enough metal left to reset. then either burnish our cut back 2 of the claws on one side of the ring, so the stone will drop in at an angle then sit flat ,making sure its level, then push the claws you cut black over the stone be careful, emeralds are brittle, tighten the other claws ,so the stone is secure then shape claws to match the others and polish. I would defiantly practice by removing stones from old rings (anything will do ,jumble sales,ebay etc ) and resetting them until your confident ,before you work on something sentimental,Takes practice but can be very rewarding.

Measure the stone diameter & send that & the picture you posted to your stone supplier to match up.
    Squash the claws on gently & be done.
    It's not worthy of messing around with to be honest & best kept as it is.

Thank you - I will give it my best shot. Actually, looking under a loupe, the 'diamonds' appear to be scratched across the surface. So I guess not diamonds then?

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    So I guess not diamonds then?
    They're probably pastes. The emeralds may be too. Is it a 9ct shank, Theresa? What year does the hallmark indicate?

You could whip all the stones out & file everything up to see if the mount can reset somehow with replaced stones..but then it won't be so original.
    I guess it depends on how sentimental it is & what your planning to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    They're probably pastes. The emeralds may be too. Is it a 9ct shank, Theresa? What year does the hallmark indicate?
    As far as I can tell it's 9ct, Edinburgh, 1972