Thread: Getting started in engraving

Default Getting started in engraving

Friday afternoon and all the orders were out the door so I thought I would have a bit of a play around.I had a go at carving a skull into a 50p piece as pictured Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skull.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	7502
    I started off using a mix match of hand pushers that I had picked up somewhere along the way. This was my first attempt at doing anything like this, and whilst doing it, I kind of started to get a feel of how they should work and be used.However, I noticed they got blunt very quickly and I probably ruined them by attempting to sharpen them.

To finish up, and remove most of the excess I used the cheap power engraver that cousins do. As said, through the process I got that feeling of how it could be done and I am now keen to start exploring and learning how to do it properly.

I was wondering if anyone could recomend some good books about hand engraving and also what tools are a must have ?

regards

There are a couple of engraving forums, engraverscafe being the main one...what your doing there is more "carving", there is an art for that on coins generally labeled under "hobo nickels".
    Plenty of help available on the interweb for all that stuff.

This is a good book to start with for engraving; http://www.cooksongold.com/Books/Eng...prcode-999-AMP

Also this is how I prepare scorpers for use for carving, it may be useful for you to print out for a record;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	132a Scorper prep photo sheet.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	7503

James

Oh My Gawd! Orf with his head! Defacing a coin of the realm? ~tsk tsk~

The Morton book is great. I still can't engrave, but I get the idea. I really think it is something that has to be taught.

You shouldn't have to bother with tempering unless you overheated while grinding to shape.
    Only goldsmiths have torches..everyone else can manage without.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 21-03-2015 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    I really think it is something that has to be taught.
    Being shown by a teacher is always best, but unless you put in months of practice it won't make much difference.

I have always found new scorpers are hardened too much, which is why I have always rehardened and tempered my scorpers, by following this method I have never had a scorper or graver loose a point or corner when carving. But each to his own.

Some of my crest carvings;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001c NAG badge enlarged.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	7504Click image for larger version. 

Name:	158a SC Haberdashers crest.jpg 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	7505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	121 Old Fettesians Association des. E.Clements 1969.jpg 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	7506

James

That's interesting James. I guess it depends abit on what tool/material people are using..lots of new materials available don't like quenching & wooden handles being replaced by quick release..
    No doubt the "old school" way works fine & I've done it that way ( minus the tempering), but I make tools from square stock & haven't bought a ready shaped vallorbe in years.
    Are people still starting learning from the old traditional way or ..?

Not that it matters much since tools don't make the result without guidance.

I see nothing wrong in 'old school' or traditional skills Chris, it's how us oldies were trained and we are still here today! It usually means we can make do with much of what we have to hand without spending ridiculous amounts on 'modern' equipment. I know nothing about engraving as it happens but the theory relates to everything. It does mean that we can go on to learn new techniques where appropriate, when it's a bit difficult to to go backwards and learn a skill if you get what I mean..
    I've seen people on here whose first project is casting something they have seen on YouTube without knowing how to use a file or a saw which I'm sure was something you pointed out. Is that not a traditional skill?

I was attempting to point out that there are different "hand push" tool materials/holders available these days which don't require faffing about with wooden handles ect.
    I was taught "old school" & have that t-shirt ..but that's got nothing to do with the methods.
    I don't think everyone these days wants to start with medieval tools even if they are still available.