Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rivets revisited - Almost nailed it

Default Rivets revisited - Almost nailed it

Hi All

Just wanted to share my latest revisit to this design. I'm determined to perfect it, although not quite this time. This was such good practice though as I think it possibly uses every​ single skill I've learned so far. I wanted to push myself again and certainly did with this (is it possible to hold your breath for two days?). Oh, and I never want to hand file an ellipse ever again in my life!

Anyway... First experiment was backing a stone with different metal. I had a piece of rutilated quartz that didn't have much life to it. High polish backing didn't fire it up much so I thought what would copper look like?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2015031946516.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	7490

All good so far... We then hit the first snag. This design has to be polished prior to assembly. I use radial wheels then tripoli/rouge. The issue I've found is they tend to elongate holes (not good for rivets).

Name:	IMG_2015031928985.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	7491

I got away with it this time, just. The other objective was to try and take the previous design which was distinctly feminine and try and make a more masculine version. So I did away with fixed bale and went for a heavy sliding jump ring. I think I pulled it off (comments welcome). I think it gives it a dog tag kinda feel without being one as I'm not a fan.

Name:	IMG_201503193875.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	7492

So that's about it. I think the copper back adds some life to the stone, the experiment is to see how long (if at all) before it dulls. It was rouged to within an inch of it's life, which I've found really does help seal it and hoping with no wear from clothes/skin/etc it'll hold. Time will tell.

Name:	IMG_201503191136.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	7493

So to the 'nearly' bit. I made my rivets waaay too long. I was being lazy and cba to unpack the moving boxes to find my reference books so guessed/eyeballed them. So I know they are way too proud, and also look too heavy for the piece in my opinion. Though in fairness I only have tube to take 2mm wire so was kinda restricted there.

Overall though, was quite happy with it, though probably still not quite saleable standard yet. Definitely more confident at hammering rivets without hitting work. Here's a close up of the mount. I know it looks like there is a huge gap between the tubing and back plate, but it's not particularly visible by naked eye. Oh, and this is my biggest bezel to date.

Name:	IMG_2015031928736.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	7494

Thanks for looking, and feedback welcome
    Last edited by Vos; 19-03-2015 at 12:30 PM.
    All the gear and no idea

I love rivets, they are a bit of a signature of mine at the moment so love what you are doing I like them big and evident as well as soldered, flush and decorative.
    I haven't had a problem with the holes elongating with polishing but that may be because you are using a pendant motor. I polish on a big polisher so it's covering a wider area and I'm more gentle. Polish first if that is a problem then mask with masking tape, mark your holes and drill.
    If your rivets are too long you can still take them down a bit with a needle file, put a bit of masking tape around it so not to mark the surrounding area. In fact I would mark off the surrounding area with tape and there is less chance of marking. I use this http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-AKT it allows you to be more precise, just watch the square corners and keep it straight when you hit it with the hammer.

Thanks Caroline, I did wonder about taking them down with a file. My concern was that now they've been work hardened that I would not be able to reform a 'head'.

With regards to the pusher, do you wallop that with handle on or have you removed?

Thanks for your advice
    All the gear and no idea

I like the design and I think it's very masculine. You've done a good job Vos.

Thank you
    All the gear and no idea

Quote Originally Posted by Vos View Post
    Thanks Caroline, I did wonder about taking them down with a file. My concern was that now they've been work hardened that I would not be able to reform a 'head'.

With regards to the pusher, do you wallop that with handle on or have you removed?

Thanks for your advice
    So far I've managed to not split the handle as I use it for setting too. You aren't putting a lot of force behind the hammer, just light tapping so it should be ok. A round end would be better so if you have something similar it's just because I use what I have, hardened steel of any kind in that sort of shape would be preferable.
    I've not had any problem taking the rivets down, you tend to get a feel for the necessary length but I'm not very precise about it and you are hardening the end you're filing off I would think. You can then just emery down to tidy.and polish up.

You are riveting in tube so your wire is supported, you can take the length down with end snips to just above the tube then needle file or emery flat. I'm usually riveting metals straight together because I can't heat them up again or I'm fitting a decorative panel. Oh I get quite excited about this, I have some to do with my present batch of work, I find it really satisfying
    Hope you can understand all this, I find it easier to show than describe so it becomes a bit rambling!

That's lovely Vos, I haven't had much experience with rivets - but have found them so fiddley and difficult to do. I really like your design - every time I see your work I know I need to work harder, as I'm letting the 'newbie' side down compared to you. I like the heavy jump ring, it adds to the chunky appearance.

Vos, this may be a silly question, but do you have rivet punches for dome shaping the rivet heads? Larger sizes than doming punch sets are not easy to find, so I make my own. I made mine from old dental tools and silver steel rods. I shape the hollows on my rivetting punches with diamond ball burrs, then I harden and temper them.
    I also buy lengths of silver steel rod from here to make many types of texturing punches and chasing tools.; https://ekpsupplies.com/index.php?_a...ory&cat_id=141

This is one of my rivet head punches made from an old steel dental tool.

Name:	391 Rivetting punch.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	7495
    James

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Hope you can understand all this, I find it easier to show than describe so it becomes a bit rambling!
    Perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I think you are awesome Vos!
    Umm, wow, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by joella View Post
    I like the heavy jump ring, it adds to the chunky appearance.
    That's what I was hoping, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Vos, this may be a silly question, but do you have rivet punches for dome shaping the rivet heads? Larger sizes than doming punch sets are not easy to find, so I make my own. I made mine from old dental tools and silver steel rods. I shape the hollows on my rivetting punches with diamond ball burrs, then I harden and temper them.
    I also buy lengths of silver steel rod from here to make many types of texturing punches and chasing tools.; https://ekpsupplies.com/index.php?_a...ory&cat_id=141

This is one of my rivet head punches made from an old steel dental tool.

Name:	391 Rivetting punch.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	7495
    James
    I don't James. My tools are still limited and my toolmaking tools even more so. I was thinking a concave punch or cup burr, both of which are now on the 'want list'. Thank you for the brilliant info!
    All the gear and no idea