Thread: Hardening threaded earring wires ?

Default Hardening threaded earring wires ?

I bought some of the threaded earring wires to make my earrings more secure but have found they are very soft after soldering on and tending to bend.
    Probably a dumb question but how can I harden them to prevent this? should I use a burnisher? will it wreck the threads?

Thanks in advance

You've annealed them in soldering, I'm afraid. You can harden the threadless part with a burnisher or by twisting, but the threads aren't going to be easy.
    I'd suggest either making them (using a die on earring wires you have hardened post soldering) or - obviously given it's me - welding them on, which will cause much less softening of the material.

I've been welding a fair few settings onto springy earwires recently, it is quite quick to do and means I don't have to muck about trying to reharden them.

Holding them with tweezers below the thread and going in very fast and hot for the join can help a lot. Sweat a bit of solder onto the base first and literally just pop them on at the last minute. The tweezers act as a heat sink and stop the thread from getting hot enough to anneal fully.

Works for me anyway