Thread: Big Bead Show.

Default Big Bead Show.

I have never been to this show, but if you are within reach of Sandown Racecourse Esher, I have been told by an exhibitor that there will be a good selection of loose gem stones too.

Next Saturday, 21st March. Dennis.

Thanks for that info Dennis, bit to far for me but i bet it's good, I went to one a good few year ago up north and there were all sorts going on, even a fella showing how to facet, which i stood and watched for ages, spent a fair bit too. :-)
    Self teaching with the memory span of a gold fish

Sounds a bit like the Rock, Gem and Bead shows that come down to Newton Abbot. If it is, it is well worth going, down here they have 2 a year and the cabs are very good quality. Spend a fortune.....

Big Bead Show is focussed on beading and "nonsoldering" jewellery making, funnily enough. However, there are a few sellers with cabs.
    Unfortunately for my bank balance I'm near both Sandown and Rock & Gem Shows at Kempton Park.

I spent a bit at the Cheltenham a Rock & Gem show last month. Was really pleased with my purchases and am looking forward to going again. Pity there aren't any nearer home (Stourbridge). Think Cheltenham or maybe Newark are nearest. Can anyone suggest any other options for buying suitable cabs/stones for my beginner setting attempts? It was great to be able to see what I was buying and get stuff at reasonable prices. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really dont like buyng on line, but Kernocraft, Gemcraft and the Curious Gem, all have well illustrated websites, worth a look.

Gem sizes are always given approximately and even those form the same packet will vary, so it is worth buying and measuring them before building a setting.

For practicing with faceted stones it is best to buy CZs in bulk, as they are much cheaper that way. Dennis.

[QUOTE=ssssue;76941]I spent a bit at the Cheltenham a Rock & Gem show last month. Was really pleased with my purchases and am looking forward to going again. Pity there aren't any nearer home (Stourbridge). Think Cheltenham or maybe Newark are nearest. Can anyone suggest any other options for buying suitable cabs/stones for my beginner setting attempts? It was great to be able to see what I was buying and get stuff at reasonable prices. Cheers.

Joopygems.com has stunning cabochons. She (Julia) is an expat living in Hong Kong. Free shipping this month if you use the code M3FS3 and any time I've order I've received my stones in less than a week.

Designercobochons.co.uk has larger cabs. Dennis recommended her in a different thread a while back, so of course I had to try. I stupidly ordered the wrong cab (the web site is basic) and Jane was really good in helping me right my mistake.

There are a number of sellers on ebay as well in various parts of the globe that sell lab created gemstones which should be more than fine for practicing if you want coloured stones.

I have used Joopy as well, stone quality very good.