Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flush setting any tips

Morning ,
    Hi Dennis, yes the drills i stated with a 1mm and moved up to 1.6, thinking about it there could have been movement along the way as i drilled with a hand held rotary. I watched that you tube vid about a year ago, he didn't get it centered either I learned that setting from watching him ( building up the silver to set the stone) I don't know if you recall the first time i wanted to set an iolite in a fused pendant, see i get confused easily, i thought gypsy and flush were two different things, Duh me.

Hi Enigma, thanks, it is off though, you know how it is when you know there's a problem ... everyone in the world can see it too ... even if they can't lumpy bit might be because i textured the flower so maybe that didn't help with drilling.

Tabby thanks, i would love to take credit for the flower but that was a cop out on my part, I got a pack of 20 from cookies Made the band though. Just used the ruler to find my center, then eyeballed it, I definitely went out some where, my initial start was with a punch point but the rest was with hand held motor tool so really i guess more pressure to one side could be a reason, the stone was a tight fit no wriggle room at all. Sat wondering now whether to get the stand drill out, only put it away about a month ago as i'd not used it lol, not that that will held with centering but it would make sure i don't lean one way or the other. :-)
    Self teaching with the memory span of a gold fish

You could use some dividers to mark out the outline of where you want the stone to be..then keep your drilling inside that.
    It is very easy to go abit off centre, just one of those things to keep an eye on & take your time.

or, if you can outline the perimeter of your circle, this method may help.....http://www.mathopenref.com/constcirclecenter2.html

Such a pretty ring. After too many attempts to find the centre of anything, always getting it not quite right, I bought the centre locator from cooksons, works great. Weird thing is, it always looks off centre to me - but when its done, it isn't (off centre, that is). (probably explains why I always get it wrong left to my own devices)

It's not possible to critique your work since the image is lacking crispness close up...probably something that could be pointed out since 99.9% of handwork isn't perfect every time, though It's knowing what those details are that is the key.
    Most customers won't know the difference, but I guess if your wanting to learn, you may as well aim as near perfect as it could be.

Thanks Chris Tabby and Joellla, for the link to Tabby,
    I've taken another photo Chris, hope this is clearer, i think when we take close-ups any problem stands out so much more, so true we aim for perfection, don't always get it but learn from it :-)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruby Ring 1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	7559

Not much wrong there
    Metal could be abit flusher to the stone in places & the burnishing has a couple of places to tidy up..but as you say, it looks better in real life.
    Now you can flush set, It's just working on fixing those nitpicking details next time.

Quite a bonus working under a microscope, as it forces you to neaten up magnified work, but there is a limit to what's worth bothering with.

What a useful site. Thanks Jill

Thanks Chris that is a huge compliment from such a professional as yourself, got to admit im a bit scared of pressing on to hard in case the ruby cracks but will have do it i know :-)