Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flush setting any tips

Default Flush setting any tips

Morning,
    I'm having a go at flush setting this morning, got to say i'm a bit nervous, i have drilled the setting (hole) and the emerald sits in nicely, any tips please on what to and what not to do would be great.
    Thanks in advance.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_0596.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	7473
    Self teaching with the memory span of a gold fish

Dear Summer,

Most of us would chip in to trouble shoot for you, but I for one would baulk at teaching you stone setting from scratch. It is just too big a subject.

However, you would do well to consider investing in a book: either 'The Workbench guide to Jewellery techniques' by Anastasia Young, wnich covers many aspects of making, or a dedicated book, 'Creative Stone Setting', by James Cogswell.

That said, I can see from your picture that the stone you propose to set is far too wide for your ring, and you will not have enough metal at the sides to keep the stone safe. Also the culet will poke through the hole.
    As a rule of thumb, the stone should only occupy about a third of the width of metal for flush setting.

You can rescue what you have done by soldering on a piece of tube for tube setting instead. Dennis

Hi Summer, in the meantime I would suggest you watch Soham Harrison on You Tube who will show you exactly what to do. He also calls flush setting gypsy setting.
    Good luck

Theresa

Thank you Dennis and Theresa, I didn't realize it was around a 3rd Dennis, I do have Anastasia Young The Workbench Guide to Jewelry Techniques but in the flush setting part it doesn't specify how much space would be needed, the sone i was going to use is not poking through so that bit would have been ok, yep probably do a different setting instead done the tube setting before, so flush was a new one for me, ah well we live and learn
    Theresa love watching Soham Harrison bet i've not even scratched the surface on his you tube vids .... love his voice :-)

Peter has a pic somewhere in the archives showing what happens when you have a stone in a curved surface, you really want the same depth all the way around.
    It helps that you have soft silver, but maybe emerald is abit much of a challenge for a first go.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 13-03-2015 at 08:13 PM.

Cheers Chris, I thought it might be but i'm a tryer if nowt else yes see what you mean about curve, i've put it in the "to sort out later" pot :-) All's not lost with it though, will probably do the tube setting.

Hi , me again :-)
    So flush setting, i have set a ruby in this ring, I think it went ok, it doesn't come out even when i push with some force from the back .... but i'm off center lol i marked out my center with a marker did my small punch before drilling pilot hole ect so i must have been out somewhere along, any pointers please, and any constructive criticism on the setting but please be gentle :-)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_0857.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	7542

Itsnot far off centre, but a small round burr is sometimes better than a centre punch. Also start with a small drill and work up to stay in the centre better.

I guess you must have watched this as advised by Theresa above: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=so...zIJcvzUtmahNgD

Im not sure it even is off centre, you have a small bulge out in the top right corner which may be whats making it appear that way?
    If you could push that over a bit I think it would be pretty much unnoticeable if it is off centre?
    Looks like a good job for a first flush set, I tend to find it either goes well or it doesn't for me!

What a pretty design Summer and nicely pierced!! I think something has been out, very slightly.
    How did you measure your centre point? Was your initial pilot drill absolutely vertical? Did your letting in of the stone 'wiggle' at all??
    Just a few thoughts of errors I've made meaning that settings have strayed out of place!!