Thread: How to finish small loose chain?

Default How to finish small loose chain?

Hi, I bought some 1mm loose chain but I'm not sure how to finish it with clasps. Because it's only 1mm I don't have any jump rings which seem to fit. Is there a special way of finishing small chain? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sage, you can still use a jump ring of your choice:

Solder it closed with a little too much solder. Lay the join on or very close to the end of the chain. Re-flux and gently heat the jump ring again. The solder will liquify and join to the chain. This is a form of sweat soldering. Dennis.

Hi Dennis, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't know how to solder and don't have the equipment. Also, the chain is bronze, not gold, so I'm not sure that would work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I'm afraid with all the new info it's likely to be more of a problem and fine chain does need some form of soldering job. You can make your own jump rings from finer wire but because they aren't as substantial if would be necessary to solder the joint. Have you looked at ready made necklace that come with clasps already in place?

If it's as fine as 1mm, I'd opt for crimp on ends - though these are hard to find in bronze in the UK. Alternatively make your own ends with coiled wire - tucking the wire end into the chain as you start makes these pretty secure. The last option is to loop the end through a sensible sized closed jump ring and use fine wire to secure two or three links to the main part of the chain.