Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tube setting stones-ish

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Default Tube setting stones-ish

I had a piece of tubing left over from making some crown settings the lazy way. Also had a few mismatched sapphires and mixed cut mele diamonds. Thought I would tube set them.

Mix of my favourite ways to set stones... Tube setting at each end and flush setting along the top and sides in random sizes and placement.

It is very sparkl. My tent is frosted plastic and seems to make reflections less of a prob with silver, but then dulls the stones. May need to rethink it.

Attachment 7469Attachment 7469
    Last edited by Wallace; 07-03-2015 at 06:51 PM. Reason: ipad auto incorrect

Love that Wallace

That's a really attractive design Wallace.

For your concern about lighting the stones, I had the same problem with my light cube, but I read that professional photographers use an additional light called a sparkler. So I got a cheapish (table clamp) mains LED with a flexible neck, to direct at stones and it seems to work fine without whiting out the metalwork. It has twelve tiny lights in it.
    If you look at 'images from past years' in my album, you can see it in action in some of them.
    Regards, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 07-03-2015 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Love that Wallace
    thank you G

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

For your concern about lighting the stones, I had the same problem with my light cube, but I read that professional photographers use an additional light called a sparkler. So I got a cheapish (table clamp) mains LED with a flexible neck, to direct at stones and it seems to work fine without whiting out the metalwork. It has twelve tiny lights in it.
    If you look at 'images from past years' in my album, you can see it in action in some of them.
    Regards, Dennis.
    thank you Dennis, I shall do a bit of research. I have seen you wonderful photos of your wonderful work, so shall certainly do something. LED halo on my Nikon was a thought, but this sounds so much better

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

Regards, Dennis.
    I tape a small led torch to my lens which adds sparkle to stones.
    Poor old Les

Quote Originally Posted by art925 View Post
    I tape a small led torch to my lens which adds sparkle to stones.
    thank you Les - I have just found a little led torch on ebay for a couple of pounds - will see what I can do with that

Yes, I meant to say that experimenting with a torch might be a good idea. But I have found that often the light has to be directed from the right, or from the left, to get the most attractive reflection.

Lovely work Wallace! I do the same with an LED bulb to highlight stones in photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    I had a piece of tubing left over from making some crown settings the lazy way. Also had a few mismatched sapphires and mixed cut mele diamonds. Thought I would tube set them.

Mix of my favourite ways to set stones... Tube setting at each end and flush setting along the top and sides in random sizes and placement.

It is very sparkl. My tent is frosted plastic and seems to make reflections less of a prob with silver, but then dulls the stones. May need to rethink it.

Attachment 7469Attachment 7469
    I am not sure if you use additional lighting around the outside of your tent Wallace, but my tent is set up with 3 daylight bulbs to the top and the sides. I hope that helps.
    Poor old Les

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    Lovely work Wallace! I do the same with an LED bulb to highlight stones in photographs.
    thank you Lauren xxx

Quote Originally Posted by art925 View Post
    I am not sure if you use additional lighting around the outside of your tent Wallace, but my tent is set up with 3 daylight bulbs to the top and the sides. I hope that helps.
    I do have all round lighting Les. I think the direction of light with the camera will be worth a try for the £2.99 led light thank you very much for you advice and help