Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic press for sale in the UK

Default Hydraulic press for sale in the UK

Just to let you know pecara.co.uk are selling hydraulic presses and pancake dies in the UK for £250 including shipping :-). Know a lot of folks have been dying to get hold of one without having to pay for shipping from the U.S.!!

That's essentially the same design as the one in Susan Kingsley's book, although a) the platens look to be thinner than 25mm and b) I can't see any mounting points that would take Bonny Doon tooling.

Similarly, the pancake dies offered could do with a bit more information - I'm assuming CNC, but there's no mention of the steel used, whether it has been heat treated and the thickness of the die.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    That's essentially the same design as the one in Susan Kingsley's book, although a) the platens look to be thinner than 25mm and b) I can't see any mounting points that would take Bonny Doon tooling.

Similarly, the pancake dies offered could do with a bit more information - I'm assuming CNC, but there's no mention of the steel used, whether it has been heat treated and the thickness of the die.
    Would be interesting to know the answers to the points that Peter has raised.....

I am not affiliated with the company in any way so not able to answer the questions! Just happened across their website and though it might be useful for folk to know. Did buy a pancake die from them to see what they were like and it arrived today - the are thicker than the ones from potter usa - reads 3.2mm on my calipers as opposed to my potter usa one which reads 2.5mm. The metal fits in the die really easily with the potter usa one but the pecara one takes a little bit of manipulation the first couple of times to lift the cutting part up (if that makes sense!).

Thank you Reenie. Really helpful info.

Thanks Reenie. That is really helpful

Also referring to Kingsley, there's a loading block described that you place the dies on and push down - it's got a short piece of brass rod pointing up that holds the cutter out of the way when you press down.

I spent more on the parts for mine than that costs...
    (although mine is ever-so-slightly more substantial and uses an Enerpac power pack)

So my new press arrived today from pecara. I should say that I have had my 6 ton Syrio press from Cookson dental for over a year and I love it - cuts or forms the metal like butter and is so slick to use but due to the small size, I am a little limited in what I can do with it (I.e. Can't use contained urethane or bracelet dies etc), hence why I was looking at getting one with bigger plates and more power). Was at the point of going for a potterusa one when I found this one. I went for the square model as my sirio is round. The plates are 25cm x 25cm and it stands just over 40cm high. It can easily accommodate my round Pepe tools disc cutter for example. Compared to the sirio it feels a bit cruder when I am operating it but perhaps I am just not used to using a press with a bottle Jack as the sirio press is all enclosed but it works well. It can also dismantle so would be good for those who teach and have to move it around. I don't know how it would compare to a bonny doon or potterusa press as I haven't tried either of those!! I will have to get some spacer plates however or I am pumping the Jack for ages - with the syrio you can twist the top plate down to the bottom one which is pretty nifty! All in all the pecara press does what I need it to and does it well it's just a little more crudely executed but can't really complain for the price I paid. Hope that helps!

25mm slabs of acrylic are fairly cheap on Ebay. So how thick are the platens?

The plates are 15mm thick!