Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hydraulic press for sale in the UK

There are two points I should like to raise from what you say Reenie, although you might already be aware of them:

Bottle jacks cease to work well after three or four years and need the oil topping up. That is a job and a half, because the bung once removed for access is incredibly hard to replace.
    I have read that the higher you pump your plattern, the sooner that time arrives, so it is wise to use permanent spacers for that reason alone.

My second comment is from experience. If you are going to operate a disc cutter with this press it is possible to absent mindedly continue pumping after the disk has popped. This is liable to bend the punch and wedge it into the cutter, particularly in the smaller sizes.

Being rather impatient, I find the hydraulic press far too slow for both the operations mentioned, so for disks its a two pound hammer and for pancake dies, if I were using them, I would look for an alternative, possibly an arbour press or a fly press. Dennis.

I've had my Bonny Doon for quite a number of years and have never had a problem with needing to top up the oil. I did have a bit of a catastrophe not long ago when I stupidly removed the bung without realising that the oil inside was under pressure! You can imagine what happened!

Thanks Dennis - will invest in some spacers!!!

In terms of overdoing it - I tend to place urethane under my cutter in the press to prevent damage but will be careful! It is pretty quick in the sirio as you can twist the top plate down tight over the cutter so you can cut in seconds! The fly presses scare me a little but will look into an arbour press! Have to remind myself sometimes to use the press we I love my saw so much!!

You must be a lot stronger than me! I am a bit puny when it comes to cutting discs by hand - takes me a good 3-4 whacks which meams a lot of clean up so obviously dont have the upper body strength to do it in one fell swoop! :-)

Ah, its not physical strength, but just the weight of a large claw hammer which I have had for years. In fact the challenge is keeping your nerve while supporting the punch with the finger and thumb of the other hand.

Without support the disks are frayed or have a double indentation. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Reenie1978 View Post
    You must be a lot stronger than me! I am a bit puny when it comes to cutting discs by hand - takes me a good 3-4 whacks which meams a lot of clean up so obviously dont have the upper body strength to do it in one fell swoop! :-)
    Bigger hammer needed. And let the hammer do most of the work, all you should be doing is guiding it (kind of).