Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ingot mould, molten silver pouring etc. help please...

Ooh thank you, I have been looking at trying casting so could kill two birds with one stone! Thank you for the clip too, really helps 😊. So I could make a 'perfect' correct size d wire ring in sterling, then make a mould and cast with the bits with the sentimental value. Now that sounds like a plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think pretty much everything's been covered apart from the question about conditioning the WHIP - and yes, I do so with borax - a couple of times before using a new one - just until it's nice and smooth.

I know Nic posted some pictures about this a few years ago: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2246

Thank you , I did it to the scorifier quite successfully but Nics tutorials have been very useful in the past so shall be following that! Thanks do much for the link...
    And got the previous advice re WHIP system, I am v left hand and even playing without molten metal I was having trouble with the scorifier & tongs (even as a former school science tech who should know better) I know I will feel a lot safer with the kit you recommended. (You do heat the metal in the dish a opposed to heating the dish to melt the metal don't you? Daft question I know but...)

Sarah

Yes And not daft at all - heat the metal in the dish. I never got on with conventional scorifiers either, and love how lightweight the WHIP is.

Just to add, having seen the ingots, I think the suggestions regarding the delft clay are worth pursuing Sarah. Getting and then keeping the ingots and the molten silver hot enough to maintain a good flow is going to be quite a challenge!! Hope all goes well xx

Just to update you after your help, the first go was a disaster 😄. Did a test run using a carved out charcoal block and I have a long sort of stringy bit and a big blob, not quite the effect I was after but hey ho as they try, try and try again 😉.

Also have a look at dried cuttle fish casting,they can be bought from the pet shop for budgies

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cuttlefish-Casting/
    Last edited by josef1; 02-03-2015 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Added a link

Josef1, already got there thank you! Mum dispatched today with my son and bought some 😄. I will let you know if that is any more successful. At least they are cheap so if I mess it up it won't bankrupt me!!

I've always preferred using cuttlefish with an assortment of knitting needles to cast rod, never had much success with ingot moulds.

its been a while since I attached a photo - see if this works

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	7465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	7466

Thank you for the pics :-)... And good to be reassured that I had worked out a good way to try! Do you put vent holes in too or just the one for the wire?