Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sievert Pro 86 Jewellers Gas Blow Torch

Default Sievert Pro 86 Jewellers Gas Blow Torch

Hi folks I need help, i really like the Sievert Pro 86 Jewellers Gas Blow Torch and would consider buying it but Iv read that the propane gas that it requires is not safe to be in the house, as I don't have a separate workshop to keep the tank that it requires, what other alternatives do I have besides the small hand held blow torch.
    Thanks

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Default Sievert Pro 86 Jewellers Gas Blow Torch

Propane is no more dangerous than butane IF USED CORRECTLY, make sure it is turned off at the cylinder when not in use, keep cylinder away from heat and out of reach of children. With care and common sense it will not be a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

In an ideal world, that would be the answer. However some of us have moments of distraction, or inattention, or might not notice a defective connection.

So cylinders should be kept where there is permanent ventilation and where there is not a source of accidental ignition.

I would also like to mention, that some members have a preference for the EZ torch, available from Sutton Tools, because it is lighter to handle, and allows you to adjust the air hole when you need a more bushy flame. Dennis.

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

All good points Dennis and applies to all bottled gas, not just propane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

If you treat it with respect and follow the apropriate safety rules it is not a concern I have lpg, acetylene and oxygen in my workshop it is even ok'ed by my insurance.
    if you are really concerned mount it all on a mobile trolly and move it outside at the end of the day

Funnily enough I had a visit from fire service fire prevention yesterday (a service they offer and just wanted to check a few pointers out). They weren't concerned at all about propane being in the house, you just need to be sensible. I always turn the cylinder off after each session and it has a flashback arrestor on, connections are checked on a regular basis, more so if cylinder is moved or I can smell gas. Tubing is not compromised, I use caution with flammable products/clothing in the vicinity, I always close the door on my workshop if I'm not in it (this is actually more to stop the cats entering and causing chaos in there or harm to themselves!!).

The only thing, which would apply to all fires, regardless, is to immediately remove yourself and others fro the building an call 999.....as he said, we want you out safely, bottom line.

Hope that reassures folk

There are also flammable gas detectors available quite cheaply.

I'm about to start using this torch; my workshop (was supposed to be a dining room in our new house, but I've claimed it as my own!) is on the ground floor and am planning to sit my tank outside on the garden just by the window for extra safety. I have the windows open for venitlation anyway so no great hardship.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadjoux View Post
    I'm about to start using this torch; my workshop (was supposed to be a dining room in our new house, but I've claimed it as my own!) is on the ground floor and am planning to sit my tank outside on the garden just by the window for extra safety. I have the windows open for venitlation anyway so no great hardship.
    I wouldn't say you need to have the tank outside; plumbers use propane and Mapp indoors in confined spaces all the time. If you really want bad ventilation try soldering copper pipes underneath the floorboards of a house. If you do have the tank outside there are still potential hazards at the burner end anyway. The best thing is to be sensible at all times, as others have said.

I store my propane tank outside, but carry it into my workshop when I use it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43- Jims workshop.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	7537

James