Thread: Hand Engraving - the cut

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hand Engraving - the cut

Hi, I'm reading the The Jewelry Engravers Manual (Dover Craft Books) and I'm trying to work out how the graver and the hand should interact to make the cut which it describes very quickly (I'm afraid I don't have the book with me so I can quote it)

Try as I might I can't find any videos that show hand engravers doing or describing this. They all seem to be air driven hand engravers! Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd like to see the engraver preforming a cut "manually" and see how the graver is driven to make the cut. Do they push from the shoulder, or press the heel of the palm in.

I've just realised how hard it is to describe which is why I was hoping to find a video that isn't through a microscope (as wonderful as they are)

When I get home from work I'll add the quote from the book, but in the meantime if anyone has any videos that will help that would be great.

Thanks

Edit: here's the description from the book

"All the action is in sliding the graver past the thumb which remains stationary. To cut perfectly straight lines, hold the block steady with the left hand and rest the thumb of the right hand on the top of the block. The right thumb must not move. The graver slides past the thumb in a continuous smooth motion. The tip of the forefinger must be placed on the graver at least an inch from the tip of the thumb. This is necessary to execute a long straight cut in one stroke. If the graver is in perfect condition, it will glide through the metal smoothly and with little resistance."

Now, to me that sounds like how you hold a potato peeler to peel, is that right?
    Last edited by SteveCairney; 23-02-2015 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Added the extract