Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand Engraving - the cut

Yes that's a good video Chris, the only comment I would make that the engraver is cutting with the corner of a scorper and not a graver, this method is more used for bright cutting around settings etc. but if you are intending engraving letters or pictures then you need a square shaft graver sharpened to suit your hand size. When I first learned to cut I used 5" x 3" copper sheets as practice plates, which I just engraved while on a leather sandbag.
    This was one of my old practice plates.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	195 engraving practice plate.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	7436

James

It's akin to the Western bright cut style, isn't it?

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I am going on a weekend course via 'In the Studio' at the end of March as my skills are very poor. They do run courses for engraving, by appropriately skilled peeps. West Dean College are doing courses too, but a lot more outlay for that experience... something for some time in the future hopefully.

The Engravers course via London looks fab too - wish they would do one nearer to Bristol though!

I've seen decent script done with a flat scorper, though whatever you use it'll take a lot of practice

Thanks for all the input everyone. I've got a square graver and some polymorph on order (red pitch doesn't seem to work for me, setting the gem in the basket last time was met with a lot of swearing). I've also seen an old bowling ball in a charity shop which would make a good engraving platform bodge. I'll be sure to post back my inherent failings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    Is this any help? or maybe some other videos by the same chap.
    Join or search the engraverscafe for proper sharpening, it`s the most important thing to get right otherwise you`ll never get the result you want & you`ll just waste time getting frustrated.
    Lyndsay sharpening templates are probably the easiest idiot proof way of getting things right every time.
    Would those be the ones available at airgraver.com? I haven't found a UK distributor. For script I assume the detailing template? It looks close to the image in my book. Decided I won't tackle sharpening freehand!

That's them. No, there are no distributors - go directly to Steve. Freehand's not that bad, I tend to do it most of the time but go back to a jig once in a while to restore them.

I'd just go for the universal, a couple of hss blanks, couple of diamond sharpening stones & a push handle & be done for a long time.

I think I've cracked it! I found this video regarding hand sharpening
    http://youtu.be/dGg_EwRToLU

And successfully guessed the heel angle. Too much coffee but it works

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	7460