Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inside Bangle holder??

Default Inside Bangle holder??

Hi all,

I make a bangle that has a number of set stones around it in little collets, but my problem is how to hold the bangle while cutting seats and setting the stones! Is there such a thing as an "inside bangle holder" just like there is for rings? My vise isn't big/deep enough so I risk breaking stones and marking the bangle badly every time I do this, which is not good and very nervous... I have attached a pic of the bangle in question but I guess this goes for a lot of similar jobs.

Any ideas, gang?!

Carin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	020144_1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	7355
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Carin, I made this engravers wooden clamp way back when I was an apprentice, so it has lasted me for over 50 years, I used it the last time I had bangles to engrave patterns on, it might be worth considering.

Name:	185a Wooden engravers block sheet.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	7356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	189 Brass sash screw used in clamp.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	7359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	186 Wooden clamp.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	7357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	187 Wooden clamp.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	7358

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 12-02-2015 at 09:45 AM.

Love those bangles!
    I put mine on the bangle mandrel and rest it on a sandbag to set stones, not ideal but works ok.

Wind electrical tape or masking tape around a rolling pin, until the bangle can be wedged on. Then you will have an inside bangle holder.

Dennis.

I do much the same as Dennis, or use my lovely GRS vice, which is fab for this sort of thing, though I do use a piece of leather to protect the silver from the jaws.

Lovely to see you Carin - hope all's well!

Hi all!

I knew I would get lots of helpful suggestions here!

James, I love all your custom tools and things you've made over the years! Thanks for the tip, looks good and could then be held in a normal vice for stability I guess.

Enigma, thanks! Sounds OK but I think I need something which can be "hands free" so I can set those stones well.

Dennis, love your Blue Peter idea! Not sure why I haven't thought of that myself! Again, I guess that the pin could then be held in a large vice, but not sure how stable that would be.

George, all good here thanks! Baby Maja Daisy arrived on the 4th of November and all is well! So, I have the GRS system too, but not the vice, I will look into that as I love the GRS and the bits I have for it so far, it really is a great piece of kit! I only have the setters package now but think I shoudl have got the inside ring holder as well adn perhaps now the vice then, it just grows with every attachment you have, which I love!

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

If you rest one end of the mandrel in a groove and the other on the sandbag you can use both hands to set the stones
    Although I do like James wooden clamp, think I need one actually!

Name:	$_57.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	7360
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100MM-3-JA...item43a4143c75

If you could find a cheaper maybe second hand 3 jaw chuck and screw it to a base that could be attached to the bench it would hold things well, maybe use a wide silicon band on the jaws to stop it marking the bangle
    Last edited by josef1; 12-02-2015 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Carin, I made this engravers wooden clamp way back when I was an apprentice, so it has lasted me for over 50 years, I used it the last time I had bangles to engrave patterns on, it might be worth considering.

Name:	185a Wooden engravers block sheet.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	7356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	189 Brass sash screw used in clamp.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	7359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	186 Wooden clamp.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	7357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	187 Wooden clamp.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	7358

James
    I would love to make one of these! (Or really find someone else to! *runs off to see if her borther really does want to learn wood working*)

Quote Originally Posted by camalidesign View Post

I only have the setters package now but think I shoudl have got the inside ring holder as well adn perhaps now the vice then, it just grows with every attachment you have, which I love!

Carin
    Carin, if you've got the setter's package it should have come with an inside ring holder. You certainly need it , or something similar, for a lot of ring work.
    Mark.