Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silquar or Charcoal blocks?

Default Silquar or Charcoal blocks?

I usually use charcoal blocks for soldering especially as some of my stuff needs quite high heat because of size. But even when I bind them, they don't last that long. I don't need to bed or carve stuff into blocks so I was wondering about the Silquar sheets: http://www.cooksongold.com/product_detail.jsp?add=W

Does anyone know if they are as heat reflective as charcoal and if they could possibly be cut down to make an oven type set up?

I've only ever used fireplace bricks and I build them up or break them into usable sizes

I have a few of those from my old stove, but I'm trying to make a more heat efficient set up. I should probably just invest in a bigger torch.

I suppose it would be more cost effective in the long run if they don't have a long shelf life

I hate having too much choice and not enough info! I'll sit on it tonight and decide in the morning.

Are you using natural charcoal or compressed charcoal the latter will outlast natural charcol many times

They do look quite good. I'll be interested to hear how you get on. I have some large really thick soldering blocks which I use to protect my work surfaces. It takes ages for things to get to heat on them so I don't actually use them for soldering very often. My favourite surface is the honeycomb soldering sheet. They do take quite a lot of heat but I managed to melt one a bit once.

My honeycomb broke when I overheated it but it still use what's left, my biggest issue is the amount of pallions I lose down the holes!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    My honeycomb broke when I overheated it but it still use what's left, my biggest issue is the amount of pallions I lose down the holes!
    Me too Caroline!

I've always used charcoal blocks on a fire brick inside a quality street tin minus one side,how high tech can you get. When they break I just carry on using the bits and level them off with a sheet of wet/dry.