Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GRS Graversmith

Default GRS Graversmith

Afternoon everyone,

Does anyone know of a good source for demonstration videos and tutorial videos, for the GRS Graversmith machine?

It's obvious what the machine does, but I'm struggling to find videos on the Internet of how it all goes together and how the gravers work in the handpiece etc.

Also if anyone knows of a reasonably priced second hand unit then please give me a shout.

Cheers,

Nick

I'll have a gander Sarah, but didn't notice any links. By the way.. don't know if you've seen it, but I've added to the Smiths Torch thread. Am fully up and runners now.. At last!

Nick

You've seen the one from GRS on setting up?

Yes Peter, seen that one which was useful. Suppose I'm just looking for proper idiots guide demo videos.

I know they work pneumatically, but don't grasp why there are different handpieces. They do however accept regular gravers don't they?

Nick

With the GRS system, they use different handpieces for different power levels (and a rotary tool too - dentist's turbine IIRC). Speed is set on the control box. They will accept a 3/32" shanked graver or the QR inserts GRS do; if you want to use e.g. an onglette, you need to either grind the shank of one down, grind a 3/32 square to shape or give up and buy GRS' preformed ones.

By contrast, the Airgraver varies speed (& power) on the tool itself; there's a drop-in tungsten piston that ups the power level.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post
    I know they work pneumatically, but don't grasp why there are different handpieces.
    Nick
    The tool doesn`t reciprocate, it`s the piston inside acting as a hammer at least on a lyndsay.
    As Peter says it`s all based on the handpiece piston weight range / combination of adjustable speed & airflow.

It`s basically replacing hammer & chisel that old school engravers used in the past on steel work.
    Since you have a benchmate, tighten it up so you are hands free & have a go...it does the same job, just not as posh but alot cheaper!

You`ll probably find a 901 handpiece suits best, the others are for heavier steel cutting or really fine work.

This one is the Enset, but it gives you a better idea how they work, all being similar but slight differences.
    http://youtu.be/VTorbgayL04
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 09-01-2015 at 08:23 AM.

Thanks Peter / Chris.

That's clarified a few points for me.

I've now realised that the Enset system is quite pricey, but it looks great. As does the GRS machine. The Airgraver looks a curious little device and the least expensive too.

I know that Suttons are the sole GRS importers here in the UK, but where's the best place for the Airgraver? Is it best to order direct from the US?

Peter.. Do you have an Airgraver, and if so then what are your thoughts on it please. Interested to hear how you rate it and whether you also use it for stone setting?

Cheers,

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Airgravers are direct from Steve or (rarely) second hand. AFAIK there are no dealers anywhere.

One of the main reasons I went for the Airgraver is it is compact - there is no control box, you don't need a second control box to add in touch-sensitive control. It's a beautifully made tool too, which always helps. I've got a Palmcontrol model (burl handle) and I use it quite a lot, primarily for setting. I've used the GraverMax a bit and it's a good bit of kit, I prefer the Airgraver mechanically. I've not used or handled the Airtact at all.

While there are some situations where having a foot pedal is useful, having the Palmcontrol makes the cutting more intuitive (from a hand-pushed engraving standpoint).

For your amusement... After a fairly animated discussion about GRS vs Airgravers, I was amused to see Jura is now using Airgravers instead