Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Postage Risks...

Question Postage Risks...

I'm really sorry if this is the incorrect forum to post on.
    I have recent began selling my pieces on Etsy.
    My prices are between 10-30pound and I had charged £2.50 for recorded post.
    I am not selling much, a piece or two a week if I'm lucky but it is a hobby.

I recently went to post a piece this week which I sold for £20 via recorded delivery, I always believed that it covered everything up to the value of £20, however I was advised that it wouldn't compensate if lost or misdelivered and that I was to choose special delivery which starts at 6.40.

It's a trivial concern but I would like to know how others deal with this, when selling low/mid value items, do you send via 1st class or recorded to ensure its been delivered or do you request a postage charge for special delivery.

I feel bad when I'm charging nearly an additional third of the price of the piece in postage to ensure it's covered.

Hoping this makes sense and not the ramblings of a novice.
    thanks x

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I think we all know the cost of the postal service. If you are only charging the £6:40, then that is something to consider. I was once advised to sell with my price including postage, but then if selling via an online method, I get charged a fee. For the postage cost too. Listed seperately the fee is only on the item.

Getting back to point. The post office does not, and will not compensate for lost jewellery unless it is sent the correct way. Suddenly lose two or three items and that could be sixty pounds you will have to find again and still replace, so it becomes £120, plus special delivery costs.

I list special delivery domestic, then anywhere else is International signed for; as it means that the product is insured. You took your valuable time to make it, if it becomes lost, or didn't turn up it is still a loss.

Welcome to the forum
    Last edited by Wallace; 17-02-2015 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Ipad is enjoying changing what I wrote, because I didn't check the screen after pressing enter. Now I have had to edit!

I totally see your point. Because my items are only 20pound, I felt bad thinking I had to charge an additional 6-7 pound on top of this.
    I guess adding this into the price might make things a bit less awkward and whatever they pay will include the postage.

This is the first time I've ever sold anything so wanted to at least have an idea of how other crafters go about this issue.

Many thanks for your answer x

It is a big market out there, well done on your sales.

Keep your standards high, make sure you let your customers know it is important they get what they have purchased, with the least hassle.

Good luck on future sales

I always include the postage into the price. I then send everything under £50 by normal post, over £50 by recorded (so at least I can track it) and everything over £100 by special delivery. Over the years, I can probably count on one hand the number of things that have got lost in the post. I'd rather replace the odd item than send everything by special delivery. My postage bills are extortionate enough as it is.

Please also note that despite exaggerated promises, Royal Mail will not compensate you unless you have irrefutable proof of value, which amounts to an independent valuation.

My experience is that in case of loss you will be unable to speak to any one, but be required to fill in the boxes on a tacky form, which demands information that you cannot give, such as a receipt of purchase.

As Carole says, the best you can hope for is proof of posting and a claim that it has been delivered. In your case I would send items as anonymously as possible in an envelope that disguises the contents. What you loose over time will hopefully be much less than the cost of special services. Dennis

sorry to disagree with you Dennis.

I have had a long and protracted discussion with the Post office after a special delivery went missing. I did not need an independent valuation. Proof of the item, in terms of the material parts, including how it was put together, photo of item, proof of sale, my time to make it was included, so I could recoup the whole cost.

I would still stick with special delivery - but that is my preference,

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    sorry to disagree with you Dennis.

I have had a long and protracted discussion with the Post office after a special delivery went missing.
    I think the key part of your reply is the "long and protracted discussion" bit. Royal Mail may play ball eventually, but it could take a hell of a lot of work, and even a court case, before they'll pay you what you deserve. Their standard way of dealing with these sorts of claims is not to entertain them unless they absolutely have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    I think the key part of your reply is the "long and protracted discussion" bit. Royal Mail may play ball eventually, but it could take a hell of a lot of work, and even a court case, before they'll pay you what you deserve. Their standard way of dealing with these sorts of claims is not to entertain them unless they absolutely have to.
    no, it was just difficult to get to the right department, being passed about. I had a lengthy discussion with one very unhelpful person, and then asked to speak to the manager of the team. He cleared the matter up and called me back the next day too. The getting the process moving was not too bad actually

has it not often been said here... 'you get what you pay for?' The point of paying the special is because it has the insurance

each to their own, this is mine and I will now sign off from this thread.
    Last edited by Wallace; 17-02-2015 at 08:12 PM.

I charge for special delivery regardless of cost, and only send internationally by signed for means. It means you can track items too, as well as them being insured.