Thread: Two Little Rings.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Two Little Rings.

The Leaf Ring.

I’m often sent sketches on odd bits of paper and this was a request for ‘a ring in silver, quite simple and delicate with a leaf design’.

So here is what I made, using 1.0mm square wire and hard solder throughout. My first picture shows the leaves lined up between rails of copper wire, for joining into a strip. I fully expected the joints to crack when bending the result into a ring, but Murphy was looking the other way and by dint of much annealing, all went well.

However you can see that stretching the ring to size did straighten the leaves more than I first intended. It was such a tiny ring at size L that I decided to make something different to send with it.

The Headed Pin Ring.

My Second ring is made from what in effect were eight pins with fancy heads, made from small discs, between 3.0 and 6.3 mm in diameter. You might read the result as flower heads, but they were meant to be shamrocks.

The heads were arranged and soldered bit by bit, leaving an equal number of wires right and left, to be joined for the shank. Again the ring was stretched to size, which also served to harden it. As before, I only used hard solder.

Hurray for the ring stretcher. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2r1 Lining Up The Leaves.jpg   2r2 Leaf Ring.jpg   2r3 Shamrock Ring Reverse.jpg   2r4 Shamrock Ring.jpg