Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Little Rings.

Default Two Little Rings.

The Leaf Ring.

I’m often sent sketches on odd bits of paper and this was a request for ‘a ring in silver, quite simple and delicate with a leaf design’.

So here is what I made, using 1.0mm square wire and hard solder throughout. My first picture shows the leaves lined up between rails of copper wire, for joining into a strip. I fully expected the joints to crack when bending the result into a ring, but Murphy was looking the other way and by dint of much annealing, all went well.

However you can see that stretching the ring to size did straighten the leaves more than I first intended. It was such a tiny ring at size L that I decided to make something different to send with it.

The Headed Pin Ring.

My Second ring is made from what in effect were eight pins with fancy heads, made from small discs, between 3.0 and 6.3 mm in diameter. You might read the result as flower heads, but they were meant to be shamrocks.

The heads were arranged and soldered bit by bit, leaving an equal number of wires right and left, to be joined for the shank. Again the ring was stretched to size, which also served to harden it. As before, I only used hard solder.

Hurray for the ring stretcher. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2r1 Lining Up The Leaves.jpg   2r2 Leaf Ring.jpg   2r3 Shamrock Ring Reverse.jpg   2r4 Shamrock Ring.jpg  

They're both very appealing, Dennis, though I particularly like the leaf ring. I think the slight elongation of the leaves in the finished item is an improvement rather than the reverse; it gives a greater fluidity to the transition from leaf to leaf.

They are both lovely Dennis!
    I dont suppose you have a bigger image of the shamrock ring? its coming up quite small and I would love to see the detail

I prefer the leaf ring Dennis - its fab! Many thanks for showing how you had kept it all in place for soldering. Its given me an idea for a clasp I've had in my wip box for ages and will have a go at anchoring all the pieces together. Have you used normal dressmaking pins for this?
    Jules

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

may have to take a leaf out of the old book

hehehe

lovely, as always Dennis. Great to show how you keep things in order with the leaves too. Thanks for showing an inside view to that bit.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    They are both lovely Dennis!
    I dont suppose you have a bigger image of the shamrock ring? its coming up quite small and I would love to see the detail
    Thank you all for you kind comments. I have cropped the rings now Sarah, so you can see them without your microscope.

I use pins quite a lot, as they can be used straight out of the box, no fuss no mess. They come from Rymans, but any pins will do and you don't need to burn off the plating first.

The block is a special soft material that looks a bit like vermiculite all pressed together. Bellore have them, but they are about a fiver each.
    This overcomes one of the big problems with soldering, that the parts can separate slightly when heated and refuse to connect.

On the down side, the pins can be soldered to your work by mistake, and also pieces can rise up out of alignment when heated, if they are under too much pressure. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2r2 Leaf Ring +.jpg   2r3 Shamrock Ring Reverse +.jpg   2r4 Shamrock Ring +.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 09-02-2015 at 07:44 PM.

Beautiful! Definately looks like shamrocks and it's lovely but yep I adore the leaf one more too, such a simple idea but so effective That solder tip photo was brilliant too never thought of doing that before....genius!
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

Both beautiful rings (even with the first pics I could see one was a shamrock - maybe with errrrm ... )

The more recent pics are so much clearer!

Thanks for cropping Dennis, they are lovely, and it is nice to see the detail on the shamrock ring