Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polishing Green Agate

Default Polishing Green Agate

Hi all. I did a degree in jewellery 20 years, and just getting back into it. However, I never really spent much time on setting stones. So… the first cabochon setting i tried, ended up marking the stone. I've looked at the forum and can't find the best way to polish up dull stones. There was mention of Polygold 2000, but couldn't find it for sale. Any advice? I have a pendant motor, and a desk polishing motor with mops, so i guess i just need to know what polish to use. Thanks so much

You might be set on refurbishing this piece, but green agate ... is it worth the hassle? If, now it is set, the answer is yes, then a previous thread here may help:
    http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/arc...hp?t-6408.html

Welcome along btw

Thanks so much to you both. And yes, the stone is cheap so why bother I guess. I'm just anticipating more errors before I get it right. Thank you for the links

Quote Originally Posted by Londoner2015 View Post
    Thanks so much to you both. And yes, the stone is cheap so why bother I guess. I'm just anticipating more errors before I get it right. Thank you for the links
    I'm in a similar position, wrt starting out and making mistakes, so I'm using stones which are affordably replaced. I've only ruined one to date ... ok two! But then I've budgeted for making a few mistakes as a cost for the learning curve.

Unless it has a certain 'way-up' you could reset it upside down. Alternatively if you have a polisher you could either chuck it in there to re-polish or save it for a rainy day when you're 'mistakes' stash has grown (slowly we hope) to the point of making the spend on the polishing compound worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
    Alternatively if you have a polisher you could either chuck it in there to re-polish or save it for a rainy day when you're 'mistakes' stash has grown (slowly we hope) to the point of making the spend on the polishing compound worthwhile.
    To buy some Polygold felt wheels won't break the bank-between £10 and £15 in all from memory and you will have a standby for when you occasionally mark a stone.

Throwing it in the polisher, if you mean a tumbler, can deplete the surface of some stones beyond repair. Dennis.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

If you are buying some poli gold, also invest in some diamond paste. Works a treat on the stones too
    Last edited by Wallace; 09-02-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Where's the best place to buy diamond paste Wallace?
    Have just searched on Cookies and they don't do it.

I get mine from ebay Theresa. Very cheap and usually freepost from China - comes in packs of assorted grades - it's worth getting one that includes some of the coarser ones as there's not much between the very fine ones.