Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a few recent pieces

Default a few recent pieces

just a few recent pieces
    1.6mm Ruby ring - depletion gilded Sterling Silver
    3 x 1.6mm Emerald trilogy ring - depletion gilded Sterling Silver
    [/url]Liberty Cap pendant with Moonscape earrings - reticulated Sterling Silver

I managed to set a couple of stones that gave me the confidence to move on and try to set these small blighters in a 2.3 x 1.5 mm D-profile wire rings. First the Ruby, singular, then the Emeralds one by one, wary to get the spacing right.

Reticulation was an experiment. One corner started to go into melt-down, but I managed to pull the heat as it started to shrink. I like to work with materials rather than against them where possible and so was pleased to find the resulting shape was useful and the reticulated texture was still preserved. I've stated elsewhere that I used a charcoal block for this, but would be keen to re-run this without.

There's some more photos of other recent work somewhere, but I have to work across PC's with my laptop not willing to join this century and connect to tinterweb after some recent problems. So sorry for the delays in getting work up

Oops - four image limit
    Cupid's Arrow - depletion gilded Sterling Silver
    The bow n'arrow were inspired by a children's ink-stamp (and after both the Mrs and I enjoy apple-piercing)

Nice work! I really love the cupids arrow!
    Don't you just hate setting tiny stones, Ive done a fair few 1mm which are bad enough but came to the conclusion that I need to have a twenty year olds eyesight to do 0.8mm

That Cupid's bow should go into this month's competition. Don't pass up a chance to win the prize. Dennis.

Lovely dinky stones, so fiddly. Love the bow and arrow, or as my 6 year old says, "barranarra"!

I take my hat off to you setting the wee stones, I can't flush set to save my life. Absolutely love emeralds in silver.
    Can I ask why you depletion gilded the some of the sterling pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Nice work! I really love the cupids arrow!
    Don't you just hate setting tiny stones, Ive done a fair few 1mm which are bad enough but came to the conclusion that I need to have a twenty year olds eyesight to do 0.8mm
    Wow, lots of replies... where to start - the top I guess!

Not having flush set anything smaller, I couldn't really comment, but there is probably a point where the stones are so small that it becomes academic. I've noticed that time spent close-viewing does affect my vision, even if short term. However a newly acquired visor should help. You guys that do pave setting have my respect though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    That Cupid's bow should go into this month's competition. Don't pass up a chance to win the prize. Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    I take my hat off to you setting the wee stones, I can't flush set to save my life. Absolutely love emeralds in silver.
    Can I ask why you depletion gilded the some of the sterling pieces?
    I've only set a few stones now and a couple of those didn't go so well. It was remarkable how easy it was to bezel set even a 3x3 mm spinel - being much bigger - by comparison. So of course I set myself the challenge of setting a few more small stones just for fun and to 'skill up'.

It was also an experiment to sample some of Cookies
    http://www.cooksongold.com/Gemstones...code-61EM-AP01
    and
    http://www.cooksongold.com/Gemstones...code-61RU-BP01

Being recently much happier with setting stones of a few mm, the challenge was then to use some of the smaller stones so that's what I set about and was happy to be able to match enough stones from the sample to fit this trilogy.

I depletion gilded the bow and arrow to arrive at white fletchings. Ok so they don't look so white here. The dark discolouration remains from an oxidising flame I used to preheat the piece as I had to cut and re-solder the top re-curve to fit the jump-ring after the first was too small to allow the fittings of the chain to pass.

There's another ring I made, which by hook or by crook got to the state it is in today, being relatively bright after a number of heating / pickling / polishing cycles. Having got to a finish I'm happy with, I guess I took my cue from that.

The ruby ring has been burnished and the emerald ring (reviewing the photo brings to my attention) it appears has not had the same level of attention. Certainly it is just as well depletion gilded, being from the same batch. I seem to recall the term 'soft-burnished' I asked for guidance on this forum elsewhere towards some kumihimo. Well, the ruby ring is quite hard-burnished. I'm not sure that is a technical term, but it has had repeated burnishing with a build up in pressure, but careful to keep it even. Overall it has attained a level of finish that I've not really achieved in Sterling.

Chas

Lovely pieces!! Dennis is right about cupid's bow & arrow......enter this months competition!!