Thread: Terms of Discounts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Terms of Discounts

I notice that Cookson's latest 10% offer (expires 9th Feb.) "cannot be used in conjunction with any other special pre-agreed deals or special rates customer's may currently have in place".

If my memory serves me right, this is a departure from all previous occasions on which you've run 10% (or even 15%) offers, when you've given the discount on qualifying items on top of other discounts such as those obtainable by membership of the GOJD. I hope this departure from previous practice does not reflect a permanent policy change. I was ready to place an order this weekend, but now I won't be doing, I'm afraid.

ETA: I notice the problem mentioned in the other thread of the numerous items not automatically getting their due discount has still not been fixed.
    Last edited by Aurarius; 07-02-2015 at 06:51 PM.

If that's the case I won't be ordering either. The GOJD discount is a perk that we already pay for in membership fees and shouldn't make any difference to Cooksons occasional discounts. Surely it's a deal worked out with GOJD and not with us as customers if that makes sense. It's the only way I bought my Durston Rolling Mill or they wouldn't have got the sale.

I know this is Cookson's forum but I do sometimes wonder if they actually want customers..or at least repeat ones. Are they making the old classic mistake of spending a fortune on advertising etc to get new ones and treating old (in terms of length of custom of course) customers like...well....idiots who will just take any old rubbish
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

It does seem to have changed over the years and not necessarily for the better, I think I've used them for about 12 years now. It's almost impossible not to spend a fair amount of money each time you shop, I always end up buying more than I intended just to make the postage worthwhile. When you have the GOJD discount and there is a sale or Cookson discount and even freepost then it makes good business sense to buy during those times. That will probably mean that I'm much more careful in my purchases or will be shopping around more than I do

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    If that's the case I won't be ordering either. The GOJD discount is a perk that we already pay for in membership fees and shouldn't make any difference to Cooksons occasional discounts. Surely it's a deal worked out with GOJD and not with us as customers if that makes sense. It's the only way I bought my Durston Rolling Mill or they wouldn't have got the sale.
    It's getting late in the day now, and it looks like they didn't want our custom on the usual terms, Caroline.

Cooksons may quite reasonably argue that other suppliers don't give a double discount to GOJD members and they're just following suit. My answer would be that the fact that Cooksons do (perhaps I should say "did") give a double discount is the primary reason why in the past I've often given my custom to Cooksons rather than to someone else. Anyway, I've just spent £450 with another supplier. The reason it was worth my while to go elsewhere is that Cooksons are still a tadge dearer than other suppliers for a number of things, even when the GOJD discount is factored in.

I know we have GOJD discounts with other companies so I must check and see what they are. I'm not really intending to buy tools which is usually the biggest saving so I'll check metal prices and shop where is best for me

Hi, sorry it's taken a little while to check this out. As a rule (and there can be exceptions) we don't double discount. GOJD members (and others) have discounts available to them. These are available all year round and (apart from where we have a bug) are consistently applied. Our promotional activity makes similar discounts available periodically to all customers. If the promotional discount is less than the standard discount then the standard discount applies however if the promotional discount is greater than the standard discount then the promotional discount applies ie if your discount is 15% and the promotion is for 10% then you get your standard 15% but if the promotion is for 20% you get 20%.
    regards
    Rob

I know this is an old post, but I wondered if anyone else had noticed:
    On top of no "double discounts" and the fact that we can't apply the discount to new products like Argentium, the 15% tool discount now apparently does not apply to all tools?!?
    Although the GODJ is still very good value for money, they are always helpful, friendly and I take no issue with them, I think I'll be buying tools from Sutton's for a while