Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best of a bad job, advice please

Default best of a bad job, advice please

Hi, I'm hoping for some advice as I've got myself into a bit of corner - I didn't think ahead enough, and now I have a piece that I have already added a couple of rivets to - but I had forgotten that I need to do some soldering on it. I's a silver piece with gold rivets, the two rivets I've added are for decorative purposes only (I realized I would need to do some soldering, so stopped adding the rest of the rivets). The soldering I need to do is to add half jump rings to the back of the piece (to attach chain to). I need to solder them really close to where the rivets are, and as I'm not very experienced, I know I should have done the soldering first - but I'm not sure if there is any advice to be had (apart from cross your fingers and hope for the best). I have assumed the reason for riveting after soldering would be to prevent the rivets from melting. Worse still, as I'm not as proficient as I would like, I really need to sweat solder for the little half jump rings, as I find it easier to get them in the right place and keep them there that way. I'd really like anyone to tell me what they think....perhaps I'm worrying unnecessarily (she said hopefully). I'd really appreciate any advice on how best to proceed.
    Sue.

Yes, Joella, I think you are worrying yourself stiff.

I also agree that loading jump rings with solder and sweat soldering onto the body is best. I generally use whole soldered jump rings for this and lie the piece partly on top. This stops them moving and they look like half jump rigs from the front. Also you can use easy solder if you wish.

Below, I have dug out an old photo, where I did this to the components in a necklace. Regards, Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Garnet Necklace Detail.jpg  

It would be easier to give advice if you posted a photo of what you are making Sue. Soldering should not effect previous rivets if you are careful when soldering. I am not sure if you are soldering half jump rings upright on the back of your piece, but if you are, you could use a clamp to hold them in place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12 Example of use for T shaped clamp.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	7336 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99 T Clamp holding ring.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	7337

James

There's always heat-protection paste on your rivets if you are very worried, but agree, if you use the 'softly, softly' approach, you should be fine. Good luck!

Thanks to all of you, you gave me the confidence to plough on - I think I suddenly got cold feet and lost my nerve. I do think those clamps look really useful James, I think I'll have a hunt round the internet and see if I can source some. I was going to attach a photo but I cant remember how to do it. You put me back on track Dennis, and you helped reassure me Lydia. So thank you all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0499.jpg  

Oh, what a surprise I did remember how to do it. Haha

nice necklace! are the legs articulated?

Hi, Well yes, they are sort of articulated, but only because the rivets are a little loose, (I haven't sandwiched jump rings between the legs and body), the rivets are not loose enough to fall out - but just enough for the legs to move. I'm glad you like it.

Lovely design, wonderful detail. Glad you gained the confidence to get it sorted!!