Thread: Jump rings

Default Jump rings

When making jump rings what I do is wind them around a knitting needle put into a small hand drill, then when I have a coil I hold it in my hand and saw it, is there a more user friendly way of sawing. I bought a tool supposedly to hold a coil but it's useless. Any ideas would be welcome. Thank you in advance.

Default Jump Rings

It all depends on how many rings you require, at work I have a Proxxon table top circular saw and at home in the workshop surprise surprise I use knitting needles wound up in my rechargeable drill.
    Sometimes I use the gizmo (pic) which my partner purchase off the Jewellery channel and most other times I keep the coil on the needle and just shove up a few at a time to prevent the coil from bending when cutting (keeping them low on my benchpeg and the blade at about 30% to the rings)
    Carlton
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150131_093204.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	7306
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

Well there's the Pepe jump ring maker, which you can get from Sutton tools Pat, but I don't use enough to buy an elaborate set up, so it's the saw for me . Dennis.

http://www.suttontools.co.uk/catalog...ump+ring+maker

Pat, there are 101 variations of 3 or 4 basic themes.
    If you type 'jump ring cutting guide jig' into google and click on 'images' it will keep you amused for hours :-)
    I've tried several of the ideas but as I don't make many jumprings, I usually revert to holding them in my fingers, sometimes with a wrap of tape to keep the together

I hold mine in my fingers too and each cut one usually travels along the blade for storage but then I don't make enough to need a tool either.

I couldn't justify buying a tool like that for making the amount I use either. I make some chain mails but not many so I will keep going the way I am.

Pat, I've tried loads of different ways. I end up either threading the blade through the coil and cutting downward onto the bench pin, that woks if the coil isn't very long. Or I jam the coil onto the bench peg and cut from above. Trialuser, loving the idea of tape - that sounds sensible, It would stop the coil moving around so much.
    Didi

Here are some methods to consider. I think I'll Try the drilled and slotted wooden block next.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=...L&q=ring%20jig

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=...F%3B1024%3B709

This thread is over a year old but if it helps anyone I just wanted to share a method I tried last night, sorry I should have taken pictures but hope I've described it OK. Worked well for a coil length of about 25mm.

- Make your coil around one end of a wooden skewer, like the type you'd use for BBQ's (*tries not to think about BBQ food... and fails*), available in large packs for very cheap - useful for small jump rings of about 3mm (inside diameter).

- Saw through the skewer next to each end of your coil. If tightly coiled, because it's wood you might find it tricky to remove the coil so keep reading...

- Place lengthways in your choice of clamp and saw down through coil into the wood. The skewer stopped the coil from deforming when clamped and kept the rings together once cut through - I don't get on with using sticky tape, for me it's always come off during sawing.

- Remove rings one-by one from skewer, I'm actually now storing a number of rings still on a piece of skewer, which will stop them from tangling! These used pieces if not too small should be reusable.

M
    Last edited by MPrice; 20-05-2016 at 11:08 AM.