Thread: Jump rings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Jump rings

When making jump rings what I do is wind them around a knitting needle put into a small hand drill, then when I have a coil I hold it in my hand and saw it, is there a more user friendly way of sawing. I bought a tool supposedly to hold a coil but it's useless. Any ideas would be welcome. Thank you in advance.

Default Jump Rings

It all depends on how many rings you require, at work I have a Proxxon table top circular saw and at home in the workshop surprise surprise I use knitting needles wound up in my rechargeable drill.
    Sometimes I use the gizmo (pic) which my partner purchase off the Jewellery channel and most other times I keep the coil on the needle and just shove up a few at a time to prevent the coil from bending when cutting (keeping them low on my benchpeg and the blade at about 30% to the rings)
    Carlton
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150131_093204.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	7306
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

Well there's the Pepe jump ring maker, which you can get from Sutton tools Pat, but I don't use enough to buy an elaborate set up, so it's the saw for me . Dennis.

http://www.suttontools.co.uk/catalog...ump+ring+maker

Pat, there are 101 variations of 3 or 4 basic themes.
    If you type 'jump ring cutting guide jig' into google and click on 'images' it will keep you amused for hours :-)
    I've tried several of the ideas but as I don't make many jumprings, I usually revert to holding them in my fingers, sometimes with a wrap of tape to keep the together

I hold mine in my fingers too and each cut one usually travels along the blade for storage but then I don't make enough to need a tool either.

I couldn't justify buying a tool like that for making the amount I use either. I make some chain mails but not many so I will keep going the way I am.

Pat, I've tried loads of different ways. I end up either threading the blade through the coil and cutting downward onto the bench pin, that woks if the coil isn't very long. Or I jam the coil onto the bench peg and cut from above. Trialuser, loving the idea of tape - that sounds sensible, It would stop the coil moving around so much.
    Didi